Thieves!

jbailey

Here is the article...

Sep 19, 2007 - 12:00 AM | 0 Man accused of stealing from dying fisherman

A Kitchener man is accused of stealing from a dying man at Bronte Harbour.

Early Friday morning, police say, a 68-year-old man was fishing at Bronte Harbour when he suddenly collapsed.

Another fisherman rushed to the man's aid, performing CPR until an ambulance arrived, but despite these efforts the man died in hospital a short time later.

Police say this tragic event was compounded by the fact that while the victim lay fighting for his life, another man walked over and stole the victim's fishing equipment.

"While the other people on the pier were performing CPR this man goes up and starts to reel in the victim's line and then walks off with his rod and equipment," said Sgt. Peter Payne, Halton Police Media officer.

"He had only just expired and these people were performing lifesaving measures to try and keep him alive and do what they could for him. This individual took it upon himself to seize that moment and steal from someone at their absolute weakest moment."

With the assistance of those present, police say, the thief was identified, arrested and charged.

Jamie Harland Gross, 24, of Kitchener, has been charged with theft and two counts of breach of probation.

At press time he was remanded in custody awaiting a bail hearing.

Jamie Harland Gross, a fine upstanding young man.

I weep for the future!!!

yea my car was broken into a few times when I lived in oshawa - fortunately at that time i didn't own anything haha

Lock your car doors!!

"Car-hopping" thefts on rise in Durham Region

By ROB LAMBERTI, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: September 8, 2010 3:42pm

Email Story Print Size A A A Report Typo Share with:

Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Newsvine Reddit Technorati Feed Me Yahoo Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blogmarks Netvouz Scuttle Sitejot + What are these? Just lock the car door.

“Car-hopping” — where burglars check for unlocked vehicle doors and then snatch prized items — occurs up to 10 times a day, every day in Durham Region, police said Wednesday.

And it could be cut dramatically by simply locking vehicle doors.

Thieves focus on computer equipment, GPS units, satellite radios, wallets, sports equipment and anything else of value.

The trend hasn’t stopped despite earlier pleas by police to have motorists lock their vehicle doors or put personal property into the trunk, Durham Regional Police Sgt. Nancy Van Rooy said.

“The numbers are high and it is a concern,” she said.

Police said a thief or thieves go through dozens of vehicles within a neighbourhood looking specifically for unlocked vehicles. Car-hopping is a crime of opportunity and it’s rare that a windshield is smashed to gain access into a locked car, police said.

Edited by JBZ

CRIME OF THE WEEK

Sometime between Sept. 1 and 3, someone broke into a cottage on Toad Lake near Port Loring, according to Near North Crime Stoppers and the Powassan detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police.

The cottage can be accessed by water only.

Once inside, the culprit or culprits made off with an older .22-calibre rifle, about 500 antique fishing lures, six fishing rods and reels, six tackle boxes, a Hummingbird fish finder, a Shindowa chainsaw, a Daisy BB gun and two mounted fish, a pike and a smallmouth bass.

The value of stolen property is estimated at $4,000.

Anyone with information is asked to call Near North Crime Stoppers at 476-8477.

Here’s a good one to add to the tread.

My son’s restored 79 Firebird was stolen from him twice.

The fist time was in May of this year; all we have found of it are pieces of the smashed steering column and the license plates; that were returned to us, after the police found them in another stolen car.

The second time was just a couple of weeks ago; that’s when the insurance company informed us that they were NOT going pay the claim.

They said because of the “performance enhancements” that were installed on the vehicle they are within their rights to deny the claim. The specific enhancement item that they are talking about is nitrous oxide.

Nitrous according to the highway traffic is legal to have installed on a street driven vehicle; as long as the system cannot be charged (bottle opened) from the passenger’s compartment. My son sure as heck couldn’t the nitrous bottle is still sitting in the basement at the house! It only went into the trunk after we were at the race track for “test & tune” nights out at Sparta or Grand Bend.

So be careful; check with your insurance as to what constitutes performance enhancements in their dictionary. It could be anything from an “up-graded set of spark plugs, too a free flowing exhaust system” according to the insurance adjuster. So, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean that the insurance company won’t try and snivel out of paying your claim.

At least with the second set of thieves we know who they are and our lawyer has been informed.

Dan

I apologize for this being my first post as I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time. I actually had my net stolen out of the box of my pickup truck while night fishing the aquaduct at the Welland River a couple months ago. I grew up in Welland and came back for some nostalgic fishing from back in my childhood and couldn't believe someone would lift a fishing net.

I had picked it up from Pete's in St. Catharines for over $80 and only had it a couple months... it was too big to fit in the cab and I don't have a cover for the back, but surprisingly enough, I had left it in there parked overnight in Toronto, Burlington, St. Catharines... let's just say it was pretty disappointing having someone from my hometown be the one to steal it. The last place I thought it would grow legs!

Whatever happened to the fishermen's code... I can understand finding a lure somewhere... but when you find rods, reels, nets, tackle boxes... just leave them... the person will eventually realize and be back for them.

Outside of my disappointment I did want to reiterate that I am a fan of the site and will hopefully be posting more often in the future!

Thanks,

Burns.

Welcome to the site Burns.

As for Durham area car hit's. They did my street in the spring. It's happens every day as long as there are kids (16 to 22) in the area. My area was also the focus of the house B-N-E's in the day too last summer.