September Browns

fish_finder

Well, we knew things would be cooling off, and we got a bunch of rain, so me and Justang headed out to one of our favourite haunts to try for some resident browns before chrome fever takes over.

Headed out friday afternoon. I had the day off, so I was just waiting for justin to call saying he'd been rained out of work. The call came at about noon, and we were on our way shortly after 1.

The skies cleared, mostly, on the drive up. By about 3:30 we were fishin. Justin had a fish to deal with at the hole closest to the access point, so I headed upstream to the next pool, letting him try to taunt the brown that has eluded him more than once now.

valley.jpg

Not long after that, I hear justin screaming, and head down to see his rod buckled over just upstream of a log jam. Seconds later, a few choice words were screamed by justin, and his lovely 5wt was tossed over his head into the bushes behind him. He slithered onto the bank and crumbled into a ball, rocking back and forth. I pulled out my flask, had a we tip of it and chuckled before I headed back upstream.

You'll hook him again next time justang!!!

We saw quite a few more large fish than usual this trip. Probably fish putting on the feed bag before they spawn this fall.

Justang casting to one of em...

justincast.jpg

There were a couple of Justangles as well..... :unsure:

justangle.jpg

A couple of smaller fish from the evening.

justinbrown.jpg

davebrown.jpg

We got into quite a few trout, 8 to 12 inch being average. We both hooked a couple bigger fish around 15, but failed!

Headed to our camp for the night, cooked some weinies and beans, a bunch of scotch downed, and crashed.

I woke up to cold, dreary weather, and go me coffee on!

morningcoffee.jpg

Justin woke up a while later with that big lost brown on his mind.

grumpyjustang.jpg

Water was low near camp...

riverdown.jpg

riverup.jpg

...so we opted to head back downstream to some bigger water.

A few more small trout, a couple big guys spotted and we headed out!

Awesome, I love bush whacking small streams for trout, in fact some of those shots look familiar but then again it could be anywhere.

Great photos and some sweet trout. thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Spiel!

Who knows. That particular area is actually pretty popular amongst fly guys. Private land, so access is limited, but definitely accessible if you ask :thumbsup_anim:

Excellent post as always Dave.

I have had a tough summer with the big browns myself. That doesnt seem to be the case for you!

Thanks again for all you help last week as well.

Cheers

Rob

No problem buddy!!

And we'll definitely get out this fall for some chrome action!! We'll see if we can get you tied into one on the fly! I've been known to pick up the float rod a few times each season too, some rivers ya just need to! And sometimes I just want to!!

And Leechman, that is pure heaven right there buddy!

dave