Anyone ever take apart a fish finder

edmichit

somehow???? rotten kids!!, while in the garage the bow mount finder got a crack in the case/cover. Anyone ever take one apart? warranty was over years ago, and repair would exceed it's value, so i thought i'd try before maybe picking up a new model.

As I recall from a few years back finders are filled with an inert gas (nitrogen I think) and sealed. So your is likely toast, although I have an old Eagle combo sounder/gps that looks like there is a crack in the screen but it still works.

It still works, but the screen fogs/gets hazy with the change of temperatures.....I think I'll try packing it in Rice to see if I can suck the moisture out, then try to seal it up. This is a trick used to dry out phones and ipods that my son just told me about.

I got to agree with Roy...It is kind of like the factory smoke they put in all electronics once it gets out the unit is toast. However taking it apart to see whats inside is a worthwhile project with a beer in hand.

Art

Right on Aplumma.........ive done this with more than one cell phone in the past thats bit the dust. Deconstructivism at its best LOL

Nephew loves seeing inside electronics as well. He was in awe when i showed him the teeny tiny little camera lens from the cell phone

Right on Aplumma.........ive done this with more than one cell phone in the past thats bit the dust. Deconstructivism at its best LOL

Nephew loves seeing inside electronics as well. He was in awe when i showed him the teeny tiny little camera lens from the cell phone

Had an old TCR 101 humminbird years ago that fried a diode.Bought a pack at Radio Shack with the same stripes and replaced it.I packed my unit with a couple of the small dryer packs you get with most electronics.Lasted a couple years after even using it as a portable in the winter.Didn't get much of a fog unless really cold.Always worth a try.

Kerry