Casting Baitcaster reels

Guest LivingLegend

I find that with Shimano baitcasters (the ones with the magnets) you really only need to set them once and then leave them alone.

and use the cast control knob for adjustments.

I have found that generally 3 weights on, 3 weights off alternating works perfect.

after some practice you will be casting without any fear of back lash in no time.

I agree about buying quality equipment. I learned on a chronarch 100A, and its still going strong, 12 years later.

you get what you pay for.

when I was learning, I took the hooks off a half ounze rattle trap and practiced casting in a feild.

and once you learn, you never forget.

you can not use your rig for a year, pick it up and cast like you never stopped.

its like riding a bike or having sex..lol

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Guest LivingLegend

I was talkng to a guy at a fishing store and he told me he wouldnt use crankbaits with the Curado 201E7, why? I want to use anything(spoons,jigs etc.) I can and crankbaits I use all the time with my spinning set up.......

Good to know thanx!

Alright its either the CuradoE7 or the Citica CI201E...... Your thoughts peeps?

I was under the impression that you'd gone out this morning to get it. You won't go wrong with either one of those reels. It's not a life altering experience, it's a fishing reel! People will try to intimidate you with how complex a baitcaster is to use. Ignore them. If you want a baitcaster, go out and get one. It'll take you 10 minutes to "learn" how to use it properly. I hear folks say " You have to practice, practice and practice some more!" It's not a violin for Gawd's sake! Go get it!

Guest LivingLegend

The bid has been put on ebay for the CuradoE7, hope i win it. I would have just bought it here until I found that I could save over $50 on ebay. Thanx to all on your tips, cant wait to try out this baitcasting deal...........

When learning, start out casting sidearm. If your release timing is a little late it won't matter, you'll just be off your target a bit. Overhand cast and late release is a monster birdsnest. As you get more comfortable go overhand whenever possible for maximum accuracy.

I was talkng to a guy at a fishing store and he told me he wouldnt use crankbaits with the Curado 201E7, why? I want to use anything(spoons,jigs etc.) I can and crankbaits I use all the time with my spinning set up.......

He likely steered you away from the E7 with Crankbaits because of the high gear ratio 7.0:1 which is fast, youd be better off with a 6.0:1 ratio for a general baitcaster IMO

When learning, start out casting sidearm. If your release timing is a little late it won't matter, you'll just be off your target a bit. Overhand cast and late release is a monster birdsnest. As you get more comfortable go overhand whenever possible for maximum accuracy.

That's good advice. Learned to cast in the fifties with dad who was a tournament caster, he won the TAHA tournament in 3/8 and 5/8 ounce bait at the CNE before there was a sportman show. Old direct drive Langleys and Inglis made Shakespeares, don't cast any harder than needed to reach your target at first , initial spool inertia, spinning too fast is difficult to control, as your thumb becomes more educated you will be able to feather the spool and drop it on target more precicely with heavier overhand cast.

Edited by dave524

Guest LivingLegend

Sounds good, I havent seen much overhand casting, just pitching etc.

Guest LivingLegend

He likely steered you away from the E7 with Crankbaits because of the high gear ratio 7.0:1 which is fast, youd be better off with a 6.0:1 ratio for a general baitcaster IMO

Oops, well I have already placed the bid so I guess i will just have to see how it goes with the crankbaits, return it slower i suppose...dunno.gif

Oops, well I have already placed the bid so I guess i will just have to see how it goes with the crankbaits, return it slower i suppose...dunno.gif

Its fine, most of the baitcasters I use have a 7:1 gear ratio, and I have no problems varying the retrieve to accommodate crankbaits.

Guest LivingLegend

Its fine, most of the baitcasters I use have a 7:1 gear ratio, and I have no problems varying the retrieve to accommodate crankbaits.

Good to hear, thanx..........