Boat Cover Help

baironhorse

I have a 16ft side counsol v hull boat...first year Im going to store outside and never had a boat cover...CTC has em on sale as well as BP. THe BP cover look cheap compared to Canadian Tire CT for almost same price...I noticed Princess Auto has em for alot cheaper and 600 marine polyester vs. 400 at Canadian Tire...As these are universal covers and my boat beam is 68" will these covers fit snug and withstand winter (I will make 2x2 support under cover)_ or should I buy a good tarp and extra groomets and make my own cover and use rubber bunggie tie downs??..Your thoughts and experience would help my out thanks!

Do you plan to trailer the boat with the cover? If so, you will need a boat cover that fits snug.

If you are just looking for something to cover your boat for the winter I would probably go with the tarp and save some money. Not all the bps or cdn tire covers are fully waterproof whereas a good tarp is.

For my old boat I used to put a tarp over it in the winter with a rope tied tight around the entire boat. This way the tarp is tight to hull all the way around. Make sure you put lots of moth balls and bounce sheets in the boat before storage to keep the mice out.

If you can't get a cover that will not puddle then it would be better to tarp it with supports that will not let snow collect. I have the cover you mentioned and while it is a nice cover it does puddle water but since it is stored in a garage it does not matter for me.

Art

Hey Zeeter

Thanks for the tip...I think I going go with the tarp and add some groomets for added tie down...Re bounce and moth balls..never heard this before...so do I disperse throughout the boat? keep em together??

Do you plan to trailer the boat with the cover? If so, you will need a boat cover that fits snug.

If you are just looking for something to cover your boat for the winter I would probably go with the tarp and save some money. Not all the bps or cdn tire covers are fully waterproof whereas a good tarp is.

For my old boat I used to put a tarp over it in the winter with a rope tied tight around the entire boat. This way the tarp is tight to hull all the way around. Make sure you put lots of moth balls and bounce sheets in the boat before storage to keep the mice out.

I have the CTC one, it is great for trailering and summer storage (I made a sloped wood frame underneath to eliminate any puddling when it rains). For winter storage, I would do what the other guys suggested - just buy a big tarp and tie it down. More waterproof and the snow slides off better...

Put the bounce sheets throughout including in any storage compartments. Same thing with the moth balls only put 5 - 10 moth balls in tiny mesh type bags. I cut up an old onion sack and make the tiny mesh bags out of this (use a twist tie to secure the bags). I'll then throw these bags with the moth balls inside throughout the boat. Better too much than too little !

Hey Zeeter

Thanks for the tip...I think I going go with the tarp and add some groomets for added tie down...Re bounce and moth balls..never heard this before...so do I disperse throughout the boat? keep em together??

thx

Put the bounce sheets throughout including in any storage compartments. Same thing with the moth balls only put 5 - 10 moth balls in tiny mesh type bags. I cut up an old onion sack and make the tiny mesh bags out of this (use a twist tie to secure the bags). I'll then throw these bags with the moth balls inside throughout the boat. Better too much than too little !