Bow mount 12 V trolling motor help

baironhorse

It seems like I never stop asking questions:

1 Scugog and Company where did you guys get your 6 guage wire?

2 As I have a 19 ft run to make should I go to 4 guage?

3. Did u you use marine grade guage wire or and 6 or 4 gu from hardware store will do?

4. Buddy of mine have some high heat pure silver wire used to carry high loads in the machining industry? Will this work or will it still get hot as the run is btween 17- 20 ft?

I just want to get all my material and put this bad boy together! Let me know your thoughts!

Thx

It seems like I never stop asking questions:

1 Scugog and Company where did you guys get your 6 guage wire?

2 As I have a 19 ft run to make should I go to 4 guage?

3. Did u you use marine grade guage wire or and 6 or 4 gu from hardware store will do?

4. Buddy of mine have some high heat pure silver wire used to carry high loads in the machining industry? Will this work or will it still get hot as the run is btween 17- 20 ft?

I just want to get all my material and put this bad boy together! Let me know your thoughts!

Thx

I went way overkill and bought some 2gauge wire from a welding shop. Its rubberized welding cable.

Because I was using conduit I decided to not go the marine grade route. My boat is always covered from the elements though.

You're only running a 36lb, but if you may see going to a larger motor I'd go 4gauge and be done with it. Check Princess Auto they may have some.

No idea on the silver wire whether it'll work or not.

Ok I see do you know where I can get marine grade wire? BP, CTC, Princess Auto none of these guys sell them?

I went way overkill and bought some 2gauge wire from a welding shop. Its rubberized welding cable.

Because I was using conduit I decided to not go the marine grade route. My boat is always covered from the elements though.

You're only running a 36lb, but if you may see going to a larger motor I'd go 4gauge and be done with it. Check Princess Auto they may have some.

No idea on the silver wire whether it'll work or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that 4 gauge is the minimum someone should use for running the cables from the back to the front of the boat. You experience too much resistance and voltage loss using a thinner gauge and risk heating up the wires and straining the battery and trolling motor.

6 gauge would work for a 30lb motor but bigger wire is better.

As you get into 24V and 36V trolling motors the amp-draw is less because the volts are higher.

A 12V 55lb trolling motor draws around 50amps.

Remember most runs will be at least 30 feet (you need to factor the total circuit length! (there and back)

Conductor_size_3pct1.JPG

http://bestboatwire.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/wire_gauge_chart.html

Edited by scugog

Finalling finished install...Used 4 guage marine wire 40 am circiut installed on battery box cover...took time but everything went well. can't wait to test next weekend...I will send u pics!!!!!! thx so much!

I feel that 4 gauge is the minimum someone should use for running the cables from the back to the front of the boat. You experience too much resistance and voltage loss using a thinner gauge and risk heating up the wires and straining the battery and trolling motor.

6 gauge would work for a 30lb motor but bigger wire is better.

As you get into 24V and 36V trolling motors the amp-draw is less because the volts are higher.

A 12V 55lb trolling motor draws around 50amps.

Remember most runs will be at least 30 feet (you need to factor the total circuit length! (there and back)

Conductor_size_3pct1.JPG

http://bestboatwire.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/wire_gauge_chart.html