Want to buy a Kayak ....transport and wintering questions

wellis1840

I have picked the kayak I want, it will be a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. Will probably get it from Trailhead (in Ottawa).

Here is my problem. I own a 2005 Toyota Sienna that does not have a roof rack. Trailhead says that I can buy foam and straps from them to transport the Kayak with. Thinking about going to AutoRacks Ottawa to have a rack installed. Will call them later today to see what they can do and at what cost. Yesterday I looked under the van for tow hooks to secure the kayak fore and aft. There are none. Any ideas about where I can tie down the bow and stern? I have discovered lots of newer cars no longer have tow hooks.

Last question, I don't have a garage, how does one winter a kayak outside?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by ELLIS

with the amount of plastics on cars these days you would be best to go to your local toyota dealer and ask them. most cars don't have lots of places to hook onto anymore.

Go to a paddle/kayak shop. You should be able to get some small nylon straps made by Yakama. It is an Anchor Strap Kit. Two straps per pkg. You pop your hood, and or trunk, and fasten them underneath. No long ropes to handle, or adjust. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-anchor-strap-kit-8004046.html

Check out the link.

JTF

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND INFORMATION.

Took the plunge and got the Western Systems Tarpon 120 Angler version this afternoon.

Prior to this I went to AutoRacks in Ottawa and bought 4 Yakima Anchor Straps. Installed two under the hood and two on the frame of the rear hatch. These secured the bow and stern for tie downs.

Bought foam pads ant the Kayak store with straps. Got the kayak home from Hull without any problem. Only thing I have for figure out is how to stop the straps that go over the hull and through the door frame from making a VERY loud buzzing sound while driving at speed.

As for the rack, according to Toyota, Toyota didn't provide them for their 2005 Sienna vans. Third party companies don't have any that fit either. AutoRacks said that they would be able to make something work for ~$800.00. Think I will wait on getting a rack system.

As for wintering, I found two rack systems that fit on a wall or a fence at Paddle Shack in Ottawa, ~$60.00.. Both will hold the Kayak on its side.

Cheers,

Bill

Guest LivingLegend

Correct, just twist the straps or wrap some tape arond them to stop the buzzing. u might want to invest in a rack system later on too. Possibly even a trolling motor for ur yak, its awesome!

Correct, just twist the straps or wrap some tape arond them to stop the buzzing. u might want to invest in a rack system later on too. Possibly even a trolling motor for ur yak, its awesome!

I was told to tie a piece of string to the strap to stop the buzzing sound. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Canadian tire sells inflatable roof racks. I think they are about $100 on sale. They may be a good choice for your van.

Ellis,

Welcome to the world of yak fishing. You may want to check out Yakfisher.net: lots of Ontario/Quebeck yakfishers over there that have lots of experience with transport and storage. I own 5 yaks and store them on the ground, under the snow every winter. BTW, if you put a trolling motor on it, it's not a yak anymore ;)

Guest LivingLegend

Ellis,

Welcome to the world of yak fishing. You may want to check out Yakfisher.net: lots of Ontario/Quebeck yakfishers over there that have lots of experience with transport and storage. I own 5 yaks and store them on the ground, under the snow every winter. BTW, if you put a trolling motor on it, it's not a yak anymore wink.gif

just take off the motor and its a Yak again......... best of both worlds and when it comes to trolling for fish the motor is a must, get'er done!

Guest LivingLegend

Going to hit up Prince Edward county longweekend, bottom bouncing is the plan and the little 30lb thrust will do the job. The i will switch it and paddle out to hit the bass..... Its fun to putt around with my little baby boy hands free too.......

Long Live the Yak!