Chasing bass from here to there

splashhopper

I was sooo looking forward to a weekend of fishing as I can't go till the long weekend now.

Headed up to a river I like chasing pike and bass on Friday.

Shored fished Friday evening for pike. It was just tooo hot to take the canoe off the roof! lol

No pike but did have a big one follow my lure to shore. Oh well.

Saturday morning I drove a little further north( now 2 hrs from home) and loaded the canoe with my gear and a cooler full of cold drinks and fresh fruit.

Put my little trolling motor( 36lb thrust) in high gear and headed up river till I ran in to low water levels. This is the furthest I have been on this particular stretch and will definitely do that again wit my buddy, Dutchy, next time we head up that way.

I was working top water frogs close to shore and under the banks and tossing heavy plastic worms for rocky shores.

Got this baby on a plastic ( about 2.5- 3 lbs) on my 6lb ultra light set up.

smallie3lb.jpg

Had a lot of blow ups on my top water frogs but was just not hooking them up very well yesterday.

I did manage a couple of small ones before this baby hit.

largie1-2.jpg

(About 2.5 lbs)

While fishing for the elusive largies in this river system, I got bit off by a big swoooshing pike. You think I would know better by now up there to put a small leader on at all times. :wallbash:

A little further down river and I was rewarded for my patience with this one:

Smallieonatopwater3.jpg

As the day was ending I could hear thunder coming in off the lake and knew my weekend was gonna be cut short up there. :angry:

I barely got the van loaded up and KERSPLASH! DOWNPOUR with lots of thunder and lightning to go with it.

Drove home with NO AC again! :angry: ( taking it back again!)

Got up this morning and decided to try a little lake system I fished a few weeks ago that is 15 minutes from my home.

I started off late this am but still had a LOT of fun with the largies there.

Caught 4-5 little ones on my top water frogs. ( makes me feel better that I am not losing my touch. :blush: )

Then I got this one

Largieonatopwater2.jpg

I worked a back bay in this system and know where I will be going next time EARLIER in the morning. Water drops off from 3ft to 12 feet in about a 10 yard slope with sunken trees all through it :blink:

Got this one on the top water frogs too:

Largieonatopwater.jpg

All in all, the weekend wasn't bad,, but I still haven't landed anything to add inches to team one! Sorry guys... just one of those years so far. :dunno:

All fish were released to live another day.

Splashhopper

You must have some patience setting the hook with those topwater frogs, that last one really gobbled it up. It can be tough when you see the water erupt. I need to learn to wait that extra second.

That is what i "wasn't" doing on Saturday,,, waiting to FEEL the hit vs seeing it :wallbash: