Grundy Lake Provincial Park

whynotalen

Hey guys,

if everything goes well and the girl had a few days off this week, we were thinking of going up to Grundy Lake PP. The park websites states that there are some bass, pike, and walleye in the 3 big lakaes inside the park.

I was wondering if anybody has been up there fishing and if you could tell me if it is worth going and if so, what type of fishing I should be doing when I get there??? Also any other general comments suggestions about the park are very welcome.

Stayed there for a few days about 7 or 8 years ago, didn't do much fishing so can't help you there. But I can tell you that it's a lovely little park for paddling around, wildlife viewing, and just generally relaxing. Since you will have a park pass you will also be able to visit Killarney P.P., which is about an hour and a bit away. Sudbury isn't far, so if it's rainy and you want something to do head to Science North, a great facility. For some bear watching head out to Highway 69, go south just a couple of hundred yards if I recall, and turn right into the dump, the road to it is signed. I've heard that Lost Channel, east on road 522, has fishing and a lodge (link) with a small reptile display ('small' refers to both the reptiles and the display :P ), but my info might be severely outdated. The store and gas station at the junction of 69 and 522 has everything a camper needs, and fishing supplies as well. Might even have a snack bar there but don't quote me on that. Kicking myself for not remembering more.

Lost Channel is likely the better fishing spot, it's part of the Pickerel River system. The small reptile display at Lost Channel Inn is just a gag, a wooden box down by the gas pump that's labelled "Baby rattlers, open carefully". When you lift the lid, you see a handful of plastic baby rattles laying on the bottom. I did the music for their "Midsummer Bash" last long weekend. I don't usually travel that far for a gig but my sister is the manager there and I've known Russell, the owner, for the biggest part of 40 years so what do you do when it's family and friends?

The small reptile display at Lost Channel Inn is just a gag, a wooden box down by the gas pump that's labelled "Baby rattlers, open carefully". When you lift the lid, you see a handful of plastic baby rattles laying on the bottom.

:rofl2: Glad I found out before going, I'm such a snake nut that I would have fallen for that without even thinking!

Been there three times, last time was about six years ago, decent fishing. Caught a couple 5 lb Largies, many smaller bass and pike. Did catch one walleye, only one I saw though.

Mostly fished Gurd lake, had a site right on the lake, pulled the canoe right up.

Beautiful park, nice hiking trails.

LOL -- I have opened the Baby Rattler's box too :lol: Definitely some nice fishing in Lost Channel, but boat traffic can be a bit much. I would bet Grundy is overlooked....it's in the heart of some good fishing country.