Family fishing tail

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2708747

A family fishing tale

Father, son net monsters 34 years apart HEAD: A family fishing tale

Posted By DAVE DALE The Nugget

Posted 9:00pm Aug 11, 2010

A father and son from New York have an eerie fishing tale to share after visiting on Lake Nipissing this week.

Mike Hoffman, 31, landed his first muskie Monday afternoon, an impressive predator stretching 50.5 inches and weighing in at almost 33 pounds.

He caught it exactly 34 years to the day after his dad, Rob Hoffman, landed his first muskie at the same lodge in 1976.

"He's been bugging me and bugging me that he never caught a muskie," said the elder Hoffman, adding they finally decided to return together to give him a chance.

Rob Hoffman's muskie was a bit longer at 54.5 inches and almost 12 pounds heavier.

"I took it right home and had it mounted," Rob said. He hasn't caught one that big since.

The last time the duo fished Nipissing together was 25 years ago and Mike grew up eyeing his father's trophy and believing the big one was waiting for him up north.

They used the same lure, although Rob said the tandem muskie spinners were different colours.

The fish hit right at the boat not from from the island lodge and it took a brief run before returning and being netted.

"It surprised me when it hit, I was not expecting something like that," Mike said. "It was exciting."

They're staying until Saturday and were out fishing again with another muskie about four feet long following a lure right to their boat.

Sharon Dickson, of the lodge, said it was great to hear the father and son talk about their catch and how it was such a coincidence Mike caught it on Aug. 9, just like his dad.

"And he released it too, so that's awesome," she said.

Guest Johnny Bass

The father's fish barely looks 50 inches. :whistling:

Note: it is ok to critisize non OFC members. :clapping:

Edited by Johnny Bass