Outboard starting problem

CRAPPIE

Hi members,

I need help for my 1995 40HP Force outboard.

Sunday I went fishing as normal and when I started my outboard and no response. So I changed a fully charged starting battery and still not success. I tried every effort and found out that once I tilted down the outboard it tilted down ok but when I tilted up the outboard and I heard some cranking noise but the outboard wouldn't tilt up. And I tried to tilt up again and the outboard still not tilting up but I still heard some cranking noise but it didn't have enough power to start the engine. Please note that this kind of strange action can do with or without the ignition key on.

I wonder why when I tilt up the outboard there is a cranking noise but the outboard would tilt up at all?

Can someone help me out for this issue and is it expensive to fix?

Thanks in advance!

Crappie

Hi members,

I need help for my 1995 40HP Force outboard.

Sunday I went fishing as normal and when I started my outboard and no response. So I changed a fully charged starting battery and still not success. I tried every effort and found out that once I tilted down the outboard it tilted down ok but when I tilted up the outboard and I heard some cranking noise but the outboard wouldn't tilt up. And I tried to tilt up again and the outboard still not tilting up but I still heard some cranking noise but it didn't have enough power to start the engine. Please note that this kind of strange action can do with or without the ignition key on.

I wonder why when I tilt up the outboard there is a cranking noise but the outboard would tilt up at all?

Can someone help me out for this issue and is it expensive to fix?

Thanks in advance!

Crappie

Bump

You say that the motor starts to crank while you're attempting to tilt(raise) the motor? You have some serious gremlins in that wiring. Without knowing what you have (tiller or console), I'm suspecting you may have some loose or short circuited connectors if it's got the remote control. If you have the remote beside the steering wheel, see if you can open it up and do a quick check of the wiring inside there.

Give us some more info tiller/steering, does the tilt up have enough oil in the system, etc.

You say that the motor starts to crank while you're attempting to tilt(raise) the motor? You have some serious gremlins in that wiring. Without knowing what you have (tiller or console), I'm suspecting you may have some loose or short circuited connectors if it's got the remote control. If you have the remote beside the steering wheel, see if you can open it up and do a quick check of the wiring inside there.

Give us some more info tiller/steering, does the tilt up have enough oil in the system, etc.

Thanks for youe value input. My boat is a side console with the hand accelerator,tilt and key ignition beside the steering Hope this info help

Okay, at best, I believe the only thing you should be able to do without the ignition key is raise and lower the motor from the control control or at the motor if it has a switch on the side.

Therefore, there is a wire being shorted between the ignition and the up/down switch. I would still take the console control(hand accelerator) cover off and check for loose/shorted wires. Where are you located? Maybe one of the OFC fellows close to you can give you a hand. Good luck.

Okay, at best, I believe the only thing you should be able to do without the ignition key is raise and lower the motor from the control control or at the motor if it has a switch on the side.

Therefore, there is a wire being shorted between the ignition and the up/down switch. I would still take the console control(hand accelerator) cover off and check for loose/shorted wires. Where are you located? Maybe one of the OFC fellows close to you can give you a hand. Good luck.

I don't know your motor, but I will tell how I would start.

Although this all seems to have started at once, there maybe two problems...

For the tilt there are generally two control switches, usually high up and at the very back of the motor. One is for up the other down. They might be black plastic boxes about an inch and a half square and they plug in. My replacement ones have some light green trim on the edge that plugs it...To test if the down is faulty, try reversing them.

If the motor doesn't crank at all. Start by checking the fuses. There might be two in holders clipped to the motor near the starter. I think the power goes from the motor to the key and dashboard where there might be another fuse, then back to the motor. You are looking for a break in that circuit.

If it cranks but won't start, check for Air, Fuel and Spark...one is missing. Figure out which one. If it is Spark there might be a couple of black boxes that could be at fault, but that's not something I know how to test.

While you have the cowling off check around the power-pack, where all the wires come together. This might be beside the starter. What you're looking for is bare or loose wires. Follow the various leads back to their source. Even without mechanical training or test equipment sometimes a guy can find something that rattled loose etc.

Good Luck

Garry2rs

It sounds like a wire going to the starter solenoid. I will be the Ground wire... Or just go buy a new one at Part Source for 19.99$....Make sure you have room in the out board for the fasting brackets....Gound wire MUST connect the bracket

NOTE.....Take your old one in the store to match it up...