kamaniskeg lake combermere

rfmcrx

The fishing is good there.

Lots of good smallies

Lakers I would'nt bother with too much this time of year unless your down riggin

Some decent walleyes

And the largest pike I've Ever seen---my wife had hooked but could'nt land

Note--I've fished Gators in NWT and NorhWestern Ontario----this was still the biggest I seen

If you have never been there before, I guarentee you will want to go back. The smallies in there are huge and theres lots of them. This time off year try the islands in the middle of the lake but watch the shoal off the largest one because it goes out about a 1/4 mile from the largest island. I have stayed at Chippewa a few times, it's a great place but I do most of my fishing up towards Barry's Bay. The bay that the B Bay public launch is in is good for largies also behind the causway can be really hot for largies as well its on the other side of the road that the launch is on. All the shoreline looks awesome but the main points produce the best for me. The marsh down the river from Chippawa can be awesome for largies it's down below the Combermere bridge. Not sure what the water levels in the river are like this year though. Pm me if you have any more questions. Good luck

Thanks for all the info guys. im taking my pike/musky gear with me as i havent caught a pike yet.

We are taking a canoe with us so ill be fishing closer to the camp site.

I really hope i get a huge gator on.

also fish_fishburn do you know if they allow pets?

We went fished that lake from Barry's Bay three weeks ago, its intense fishing, we were hitting nickel peice smallies like no bodies business on tubes and that causeway everyones talkin' about is hot. I've fished that area for 10 years and the amount of pike one can pull from there is awesome, lots of fish!

Those old school, jointed rapalas in chartuese, pick a couple up! You'll need two, haha!

Oh yeah and if you feel like exploring, check out Palmer Rapids for shore fishing. We've caught everything in that area, just be careful about navigating with your car, lots of rock and slope, I hung my car up and tore half my bumper off but it was well worth the smallie slaughter we did that day... no lies but every cast was a fish ( on tubes ) for an hour straight. Best day of fishing this year for me.

I was supposed to go up this weekend too :( Bring your camera and bring us pictures

Musky and specs I'm pretty sure there aint no crappie in there there big rock bass. Not sure if your allowed dogs there, guess you will have give em a call. I have caught some nice northerns there in the 36 to 42 range but always while targeting smallies. I live an hour away and whenever I go there it's for a really good fix of smallie action. I can tell you one thing none of the smallies in that lake have a membership at their local gym. They are so gawd awful fat and outa shape it's sick. And when they realise there hooked the pull like a husky, haha. Not only that but its hard to find a prettier lake in this neck of the woods and theres thousands. Bring one rod for Northerns and all your bass gear, try and rent a boat and motor if you can, if not put your canoe in at the B'bay launch and fish the top end. Alot less paddling and you will be into more really serious bass fishing with a good chance of a big northern. The b bay end of the lake provides good protection from the wind if it comes. Looking out on the lake from the launch fish the left side to the end of the bay about a k or so then do a 90 degree across the bay and fish the right shoreline around the island. That will take you on the other side of the causway and you can't get better than that for fishing in a canoe.

Hi Rfmcrx,

I started going up this way when I was a kid in 1982. Great place and lots of navigable water (90kms).

First thing I would suggest is to get a fishing map from the the bait shop in Barry's Bay. Not sure if the Lucky dollar in Combermere will have it, but they have great Ice Cream cones :D

I camped once at Chippawa as well, it was a nice place to camp. If you have a canoe be careful on Kamaniskeg if the winds come up. An onshore breeze at Chippawa can really make for some large waves. That being said you have access to the river which can be busy on weekends with boats, but not so much during the week.

For fishing around Chippawa, if you head down stream to Blackfish Bay (on the left), there are many suspended pike in there if you troll the shorelines and find the deeper weeds(caught a lake trout once doing this in 20 ft of water in August). There is also a little back bay on the left before you get to the island, full of largemouths. Perfect for using a canoe.

If you don't mind transporting the canoe, you can try the boat launch on the other side of lake kamaniskeg. Set up in 10-15 feet of water, late in the afternoon till dusk, right in front of the garage/shed with a Canadian maple leaf flag painted on it. Drop worms / minnows to the bottom or use a 3-way rig to be just off bottom. Caught many large smallies that way, and the odd pickerel.

For pike, I would suggest to get down to Conroy's marsh in the York river. There is (was) a crude boat launch just before Palmer Rapids. I think it was at the end of McPhees bay road. From there you can get to where the Madawaska and the York rivers meet, and head up the York river into Conroy's marsh. Lots of weeds but ton's of hammer handle Pike, with the odd large one, sm and lm bass, pickerel and huge pan fish. Just be careful as boats do go fast through there and there a lot of twist and turns. You can also try where the two rivers meet just in fron of the launch, just find the weeds off the deeper water.

Sorry I am little long winded, just can't wait to get back up that way again.

Bill

PS-There are also lot's of MNR checks and OPP, so ensure you are legal.