Back from Bon Echo camping with th boys...

siwash

Great trip, loads of fun and beauty park.... but the fishing is tough there. Mind you, we did not fish a whole lot but a few hours and pretty much nothing. That was the 3rd time at that park and I never seem to catch much on Mazinaw.

Good times overall - wasn't really a fishing trip as much as male bonding trip!

Swordfish, I know how ya feel, I was born and raised up there actually on skootamata lake road just south of the park. love the scenery and visit at least once a year, as for the fishing it is defenetly tough! we are able to catch a few small smallies or the odd pike. other then that its mainly rock bass lol

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the update. I will know to stay clear of that park. All I know of that place is that I met a really hot babe that says she camps there every year.

its a really hard lake to fish. I am a bass guy. and well If you work for them you will find them.. never really tried for walleye.. but it is a very big, very deep lake with the deepest point being 475'.. so its sorta tough for some1 not used to fishing it.. like i said if u work for them u can find them tho there are surrounding lakes that I do much better on.

thats usually the way though....

Lakes attached to PPs are usually pretty dismal IMO anyways. I usually try to book myself up with a campground that is near PPs, but not on the same lake. I learned my lesson a number of years ago when I decided I wanted to try and camp at every PP around. Not worth it if you want to spend time catching as oppossed to just fishing!!

Great trip, loads of fun and beauty park.... but the fishing is tough there. Mind you, we did not fish a whole lot but a few hours and pretty much nothing. That was the 3rd time at that park and I never seem to catch much on Mazinaw.

Good times overall - wasn't really a fishing trip as much as male bonding trip!

I have been going to Mazinawa for about 15-20 years. The fishing is good but you have to go under the bridge at Brown's Tent and trailer park -- then go up the river. I will always get a nice big bass on top water. The walleye fishing again was real good about 5 years ago- I used to troll and did well. The best place I can suggest is Campbell`s Bay- Thats the inlet right across from the marina ( i forget the name of it) But its right there after the BIG hill. You know the one - that makes you think, if you have no brakes your swimming.

Use the fish finder and find the drop off -it goes from 35- down to 113 FOW. If you find this your laughing- jig there or troll over that one spot- Or I also for fun would go to the island to the left of Campbells Bay and use frogs and drop them in 20 fow for BIG bass.

I agree with fishfinder. Lots of lakes around here that are very close to Algonquin Park boundries and produce way better than in the park. Got that tip from an old game warden in a coffee shop about 20 yrs ago. Everyone zips right by them to get into the park thinking thats where all the good fishing is.

I was up at Bon Echo earlier in the summer, first time pulling the boat for a weekend of camping and I was really excited about it... Then I spent the weekend cleaning lures and cursing the Mazinaw. Finally on the last morning I snuck out real early while the Mrs was still sleeping and with only about 45 minutes before I had to head back in I managed to find something other than the tiny rock bass that I was finding.

This guy put up a really nice fight, crappy pic but I was alone

IMG_1242_small.jpg

And I can't leave out the little dude that left me such a nice present...

IMG_1245_small.jpg

What a tough lake though, saw some guys walking out with a couple nice pickeral but they wouldn't give me the time of day.