Drop shotting for bass

alphaalpha

Hey all, I recently tried dropshotting for bass for the first time. The question I have is how fast (if any speed at all) should we be going when doing this. My friend and i were drifting with the current at about 0.7-0.8mph and we would go slower against it around 0.5mph. we didn't have much luck on the drop shot rig but had a couple takers dragging a tube off the bottom.

Should we locate the fish and anchor or just get a drift sock to slow us down more? or is what we were doing fine and we just need to stick with it?

any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AA.

i usually do it without moving or moving very slowly. You need to make contact with the bottom but not really have a tight line so you can make the lure move with subtle line shakes. If I am drifting I would go for more of a carolina style rig or a split shot rig.

That is just my opinion though.

If I was drifting faster and drop shotting I would make sure I had enough weight to stay on bottom and probably leave a longer gap between hook and weight as the angle of the line to the bottom will be smaller.

When drifting, cast in the same direction so you're not dragging. Keep your line taught but don't move the weight. Use the tip of your rod to twitch the line and put whatever action on it you want, but keeping the line taught so you feel the hit. Some people say less is more when it comes to dropshotting and I tend to agree in clear waters like the Lower Niagara/Ontario and Erie.

cool thanks for the tips. I tried both having lots of weight (1oz dropshot weight) and casting in the direction we were going. I have to admit i don't think when i was casting i was getting the line taught enough sometimes so i guess i could have had bites and been missing them. I'll keep at it.

Thanks again,

AA.

The most successful way for me to fish a drop shot has been right under the boat. I often have a drop shot setup and ready for when I mark fish under the boat in about 12-20 fow. Simply drop it down, and like others have mentioned, leave the weigh in contact with the bottom, while very slightly twitching the tip of the rod. I've done really well using Gulp Alive minnows.

Good luck

slammers are awesome baits. i use them 87% of the time im dropshotting. fishing a dropshot verticle or dragging it on a long line are both effective and both have their time and place. just remember when dragging it, use a larger lead from weight to hook. it can be fished from a solitary position, like being anchored, or can be fished moving slowly or fast. depending on the fishes mood and the type of structure ur fishing, each way can be very productive.

If you are moving or dragging, it is better to have a bit of a larger separation between the book and the weight.

Same goes for casing - if you are casting you need more space based on the angle you will be reeling in at.