Cuba Fishing - Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, etc.

rhymobot

I know there's been past topics about fishing the keys of Cuba from shore on the causeways and what not, but why don't any of us who are interested get organized and book a trip down there?

If you've heard about it or seen the pics then you know the fishing is abundant and you can even catch 80lb tarpon from shore and 'cudas are plentiful.

I went last September and wasn't prepared at all. Had a simple retractable and was limited to 1 to 3 lb snappers, jacks, cubaretes, etc. But those who were prepared were pulling in cudas, tarpon, grouper, tuna, etc.

The best part is that I only paid $508 all inclusive to 4 star resort leaving from Toronto. We just borrowed the resort's bikes for free and rode a few minutes to get to the spots. Or pay for the guy to take you out on catamaran.

Anyone interested?

sounds like a heck of a deal.

fished the Fl keys on the gulf side the last two springs,was awesome , cost lot more than 500 tho.. lol

al

I know there's been past topics about fishing the keys of Cuba from shore on the causeways and what not, but why don't any of us who are interested get organized and book a trip down there?

If you've heard about it or seen the pics then you know the fishing is abundant and you can even catch 80lb tarpon from shore and 'cudas are plentiful.

I went last September and wasn't prepared at all. Had a simple retractable and was limited to 1 to 3 lb snappers, jacks, cubaretes, etc. But those who were prepared were pulling in cudas, tarpon, grouper, tuna, etc.

The best part is that I only paid $508 all inclusive to 4 star resort leaving from Toronto. We just borrowed the resort's bikes for free and rode a few minutes to get to the spots. Or pay for the guy to take you out on catamaran.

Anyone interested?

I've been down there, and the fishing is pretty good if you time it right. I have a buddy at work who is always bugging me to go down there, strictly to fish. I might just take him up on it this spring. That's a great time to do it. He's hauled in some nice tarpon from shore, as well as many other types of fish.......all within biking distance from the resorts. Its cheaper to go there, than either coast of canada!!~!

S.

I've been down there, and the fishing is pretty good if you time it right. I have a buddy at work who is always bugging me to go down there, strictly to fish. I might just take him up on it this spring. That's a great time to do it. He's hauled in some nice tarpon from shore, as well as many other types of fish.......all within biking distance from the resorts. Its cheaper to go there, than either coast of canada!!~!

S.

There's a guy from quebec who goes there twice a year and he's going in april. check out his site:

Cuban Fishing

check out all the pics he's got on there. they catch all these bad boys from shore and catamaran.

i went in september/october and the fishing was on fire.

I went down last December....had a hard time living with myself for not bringing the rod...lots of great opportunities by simply hiking/biking down the road....never mind the resort itself for the odd 'cuda or bonefish

Guest gbfisher

In one of the bridge pictures from Cayo Guillermo....I fished off of there myself and caught Tarpon. I was enough to get me back down there for a week. Night fishing was a blast. Very cheap fishing trip for sure.

Tons of other spots as well. Its not Americanized yet eh..... :sarcasm:

my avatar is from off shore there as well...you can get a nice cheap day out on the water ....only thing that got me was the fact that the boat was twice my age and the bilge pumps didnt stop even once the whole time out. :huh:

You have to go a far ways out to find deep water and other fish besides cuda..... :whistling:

Edited by gbfisher

I went down last December....had a hard time living with myself for not bringing the rod...lots of great opportunities by simply hiking/biking down the road....never mind the resort itself for the odd 'cuda or bonefish

ya i know what you mean. i totally lacked foresight when i went down there. i should have done research on the net first and come down with some heavy tackle.

i was so envious watching people pull up big fish while i was catching 1 to 2 pounders.

In one of the bridge pictures from Cayo Guillermo....I fished off of there myself and caught Tarpon. I was enough to get me back down there for a week. Night fishing was a blast. Very cheap fishing trip for sure.

Tons of other spots as well. Its not Americanized yet eh..... :sarcasm:

my avatar is from off shore there as well...you can get a nice cheap day out on the water ....only thing that got me was the fact that the boat was twice my age and the bilge pumps didnt stop even once the whole time out. :huh:

You have to go a far ways out to find deep water and other fish besides cuda..... :whistling:

night fishing eh? another thing i regret not doing.

i need to go back there and fulfill a dream fishing trip.