Simcoe Smallie Report

bassman

Headed out with my father in law to Lady Simcoe on the weekend thinking it would be a typical mid summer slow day of fishing. We headed to a spot that had produced some nice smallies in previous bass openers, and once again, I didn't expect much summer action.

With his first cast my father in law nailed a 3.5lb SMB, WOW....nice start to the day. With my first cast....BAM....4.2lb SMB. These turned out to be the smallest SMB's of the day. We nailed approximately 10 SMB's that morning, with the biggest being a 5.5lber (see pic), and a couple of break offs from some pigs that looked to be close to the 6lb+ mark.

The bait of the day was live leeches. I typically fish with artificials, but I'm glad I went old school...nothing beats live bait!!!

I was using a 7' spinning rod spooled with 20lb braid, a swivel, and a 3-4' 12lb fluoro leader for the dropshot rig.

Cheers!

smb.jpg

Nice Bronzies there bud. I was beginning to think you fell of the face of the earth. When I get back from the East Coast I will call you. I will be starting to pre fish Simcoe for a month or so. Need a good pre fishing partner for sure.

Nice Bronzies there bud. I was beginning to think you fell of the face of the earth. When I get back from the East Coast I will call you. I will be starting to pre fish Simcoe for a month or so. Need a good pre fishing partner for sure.

Looking forward to it Marv. Enjoy your vacation!

Headed out with my father in law to Lady Simcoe on the weekend thinking it would be a typical mid summer slow day of fishing. We headed to a spot that had produced some nice smallies in previous bass openers, and once again, I didn't expect much summer action.

With his first cast my father in law nailed a 3.5lb SMB, WOW....nice start to the day. With my first cast....BAM....4.2lb SMB. These turned out to be the smallest SMB's of the day. We nailed approximately 10 SMB's that morning, with the biggest being a 5.5lber (see pic), and a couple of break offs from some pigs that looked to be close to the 6lb+ mark.

The bait of the day was live leeches. I typically fish with artificials, but I'm glad I went old school...nothing beats live bait!!!

I was using a 7' spinning rod spooled with 20lb braid, a swivel, and a 3-4' 12lb fluoro leader for the dropshot rig.

Cheers!

awesome fish-thx for sharing....if I may ask where did you launch and what did they ding you?