Nice weekend on the river

timmeh

This past weekend me and a few friends headed out to our traditional civic weekend destination. I think we've made the trip 6 of the past 7 years or close to it and it's always a trip I look forward to. This year we grabbed a couple sites close to the river so I was really looking forward to it. Previous heavy rains had the river up and dirty but it didn't stop me from trying.

The fishing was a little slow on Saturday but me and my buddy managed to pick up about 15 smallies between us. Nothing picture worthy but a couple decent fish in the mix. Considering the conditions I thought we did okay.

Sunday we floated a different stretch of the river and just after launching we came across a good looking pool that warranted a little effort. First cast produced a strong strike, a good fight, and what I assumed was a nice bass. But when it came to surface I got a little excited. It wasn't a big fish but I knew right away what it was.

I would have been quite happy to end the day there but we carried on. About an hour later, and after picking up a few smaller bass, I cast into a side pocket just off the main current and was hit with a massive strike. Line started going out and the fight was on. After an energetic, but short battle, I got the fish to the yak and called the other canoe over for a look.

Definitely 2 great, unexpected fish and to catch them out of the yak was a blast. Can't wait to get back.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timmeh

:clapping:

But did the PB take you for a sleigh ride?

Ya I went for a little bit ride, that's the best part. But fortunately for myself and the fish I had my shimano 3000 loaded with 20lb braid so I didn't need to play him too long.

There is a lot of those in there including some very big fish. Not me in photo but took the pic my buddy's best river fish 48"

Brad1.jpg

I've heard a few tales about big fish in the area. I'm not sure what I would have done with a fish much bigger than the one I got.