massasauga help

tonewhy

Hi i'm leaving next week to camp at massasauga spider and clear lake area.

Wondering anyone can provide tips for colors, lures or patterns. And what can I catch there.

So far i'm bringing panther martins and mepps, black tubes and berkley minnows.

thanks

The most memorable fish from my trip to Spider lake came while trolling a shad rap wayyyy back behind the boat. Caught about an 8lb. laker.....mid summer. Couldn't duplicate it....seemed kinda flukey...but there ya go. Sounds like you've got the right bass tackle though...bring some topwater lures for calm times...

The most memorable fish from my trip to Spider lake came while trolling a shad rap wayyyy back behind the boat. Caught about an 8lb. laker.....mid summer. Couldn't duplicate it....seemed kinda flukey...but there ya go. Sounds like you've got the right bass tackle though...bring some topwater lures for calm times...

That's pretty weird - or is it? Guy at work who has a cottage on Three-Legged (the lake you put into to access Spider) fishes this way for pike in Spider and caught a laker last summer - same bait. I've actually caught a few in Three-Legged trolling behind the canoe as well but make sure you know the slot size if you're thinking of dinner.

Anyway, for the OP, I've been in to Spider/Clear for the last 7 or 8 summers and while the fishing is still pretty good it seems to be on the decline. We've noticed more and more people fishing every trip we're in.

Tubes, topwaters and small cranks for bass are our "go to" baits. We also troll behind the canoes everywhere we go. Clamp a rod holder on to the gunwale on the opposite side you paddle and you'll catch pike, the odd bass and maybe a laker (in Spider, none in Clear). Try baits with different dive depths and once you figure out the depth they're holding at (thermocline) you should be good. We regularly catch pike suspended over deep water, 50+, so don't even worry about structure.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics as I won't be making it in this year :angry:

Dan

Spider is a beauty lake..

2 years ago i saw two guys ina 12' putting around with a 5 hp motor. I am pretty certain it is a motor-free lake

lots of pike... and smallies

spring is good there (for pike and some lakers)