Humminbird 150 battery question

ironstone74

I picked up a used portable fishfinder and I can't top up the battery charge. It still has power but I want to top it up if I can.

When I connect the the charger connections to the corresponding coloured mount, I get a red LED saying "SHORT/REVERSE" instead of "CHARGED", or "CHARGING". I tried reversing the connection and the same result.

Any ideas??? Do I have to completely drain the battery before I recharge it?

Thanks for any help,

Paul

The battery is a 12volt 7Ah.

if its the same as my portable 160 (wall plug with led) i once drained the battery on it completely. the red also means your very low on juice. i know when i plugged mine it, it was red after that, i left it for a few hours and it turned from orange/yellow, to green on the charger.

"just set it and forget it" :thumbsup_anim:

I picked up a used portable fishfinder and I can't top up the battery charge. It still has power but I want to top it up if I can.

When I connect the the charger connections to the corresponding coloured mount, I get a red LED saying "SHORT/REVERSE" instead of "CHARGED", or "CHARGING". I tried reversing the connection and the same result.

Any ideas??? Do I have to completely drain the battery before I recharge it?

Thanks for any help,

Paul

The battery is a 12volt 7Ah.

Take your handy voltmeter and see what the actual resting voltage is, maybe the battery is borderline toast, and make sure the battery is correctly connected.

I've told this story a dozen times here but....a long time ago, I had an Eagle Ultra or whatever it was. I had converted it to being portable. I was mostly running it when I was in places where I could not bring my own boat in. The security system in the house used a 12V, 7.5A battery backup plugged into a transformer that would keep it charged. I had 2 batteries and whenever I went north to those lakes, I'd simply swap out the fully charged security battery for the other. It would last me 3-4 days on the water and when it was time to go north again, I'd simply swap them out of the security system again. The batteries were always fully charged.