Need somewhere new to fish

Drock6687

Myself and a buddy where going to go to lake couchiching next week for the day but after a post last week it sounds like our small 12 ft tin fishing boat my not be a safe way to go in that lake. Therefor we need somewhere else to take our smaller fishing boat....we like in Cambridge (KW) and dont really want to drive more then 3 hours or so...any idea on where we can go...

Thanks for the help!!!

I have never fished Couchiching, but I don't see it as being different than most commonly fished lakes. Maybe it's bigger than it looks on the map, but it's not big water like Simcoe. I don't see why you couldn't even fish Simcoe if you wanted, you just have to be very vigilant about the weather.

Other places: Lake Dalrymple, Head Lake, Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Pigeon Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lakes

Smaller lakes: Little Lake (near Barrie), Island Lake CA (in Orangeville, no gas motors), also many other conservation areas (http://www.ontarioconservationareas.ca/index.php?option=com_google_maps&category=14&Itemid=69).

Probably many more.

Good luck!

I have never fished Couchiching, but I don't see it as being different than most commonly fished lakes. Maybe it's bigger than it looks on the map, but it's not big water like Simcoe. I don't see why you couldn't even fish Simcoe if you wanted, you just have to be very vigilant about the weather.

Other places: Lake Dalrymple, Head Lake, Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Pigeon Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lakes

Smaller lakes: Little Lake (near Barrie), Island Lake CA (in Orangeville, no gas motors), also many other conservation areas (http://www.ontarioconservationareas.ca/index.php?option=com_google_maps&category=14&Itemid=69).

Probably many more.

Good luck!

I was wondering about rice lake...is it ok for a smaller tin fishing boat...aslo where are their public boat lanch areas?

As stated in a previous thread, Couchaching whips up fast because it is a small, shallow (max depth is like 27ft, and when the wind starts rocking, so does the water. There are days that can appear perfectly still, and the Couch would be rocking.

To be honest, you'd be better off going to Simcoe as opposed to Couch.

Sparrow Lake is on the Severn as well and offers good bass and pike fishing.

As stated in a previous thread, Couchaching whips up fast because it is a small, shallow (max depth is like 27ft, and when the wind starts rocking, so does the water. There are days that can appear perfectly still, and the Couch would be rocking.

To be honest, you'd be better off going to Simcoe as opposed to Couch.

Sparrow Lake is on the Severn as well and offers good bass and pike fishing.

Simcoe is hardly better than Couch when the wind gets up. You're fine on both lakes as long as the wind is 10k or less, when it gets higher than that a 12 foot tinny is not a nice place to be.

Any smaller lake in the area holds fish... sparrow lake, bass lake, little lake, lake muskoka, kashe lake, six mile lake, gloucester pool, severn river, lake eugenia, lake scugog, balsam lake, cooks bay all are decent options

In your previous post about this, we gave you about a dozen lakes to try.. They're all great lakes, within your 3 hour driving range. Pick one, and giver.

Ya thanks I have looked into them and the main thing i was wondering about is if your smaller boat would be safe to take in these lakes. Thanks!

If you are smart about it, Rice lake or scugog shouldn't be a problem. By that I mean if the weather is windy you may have to stick to back in a bay or closer to shore.

But you seem to have a good amount of lakes to start with. You could without a gas motor on guelph lake, its very close for you.