Long Point Bay

Loonietoon

I have not been to Long Point in a long time, can someone recommend a good launch to go out of and an area to fish... maybe some Walleye's

but will probably end up with bass.. Went out of Port Rowan way back but nearly took the motor out on heavy weed. Leaving Friday for a long needed Holiday without company phone attached to me :tease::Gonefishing: Vinny if you can find me you can have a spot in the boat :tease:

Launch out of the Old Cut in Long Point, it's a decent launch and it's only $10. Plan on going out to Bluff Bar for Smallies and to the point for eyes. Hit the weeds by The Long Point Company for Largies and Pike. PM me if you need any more info.

i launch out of turkey point coming from hamilton, its quicker to drive the boat across to the point than drive the truck around (weather permitting). deeper water and less weeds if you stay just outside the bay and drift for smallies or target weed pockets specifically. look up ec 10 and fish the channel towards turkey point.

dan and vinni - i remember the ride out to the bluff bar being kinda long, maybe it was the weather - how far, how long at around 35-40 mph?

im out there friday going to fish for pike and largies where you guys said in the am then finish the day fishing smallies in the channel - see you there maybe????

i launch out of turkey point coming from hamilton, its quicker to drive the boat across to the point than drive the truck around (weather permitting). deeper water and less weeds if you stay just outside the bay and drift for smallies or target weed pockets specifically. look up ec 10 and fish the channel towards turkey point.

dan and vinni - i remember the ride out to the bluff bar being kinda long, maybe it was the weather - how far, how long at around 35-40 mph?

im out there friday going to fish for pike and largies where you guys said in the am then finish the day fishing smallies in the channel - see you there maybe????

Thanks for the info Smally21 it is appreciated. As of Friday will be in that area if you want to meet up PM me before Friday as after that I will not be near the computer

I will keep my radio on channel 68,just call out for vinnimon.Hopefully ill be out there on saturday.

time to bluffs bar is directly affected by if you know the channels. the sand bar off Pottahawk point has, slowed down? more than one boat in the past?

going around it adds a few minutes to the trip. but then so does running into itwhistling.gif

being new to the bay, I still go around and it takes about 20 mins to 1/2 hr with mine (16 ft w/ 50 hp) to get to the middle 24 - 27 mph according to the gps - depending on the amount of asshat.gif boats . one of these days I'll do a GPS track on the channels - for now I just enjoy getting ther almost as much as fishing.... . almost

time to bluffs bar is directly affected by if you know the channels. the sand bar off Pottahawk point has, slowed down? more than one boat in the past?

going around it adds a few minutes to the trip. but then so does running into itwhistling.gif

being new to the bay, I still go around and it takes about 20 mins to 1/2 hr with mine (16 ft w/ 50 hp) to get to the middle 24 - 27 mph according to the gps - depending on the amount of asshat.gif boats . one of these days I'll do a GPS track on the channels - for now I just enjoy getting ther almost as much as fishing.... . almost

Thanks for the info Rick... Might just have to take my time seeing as I have 10 days off :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hey spin I've been fishing LPB for a few years and I hit that sand bar this year followed my track on the GPS right into 1FOW I prolly would have made it but the wife was with me and I didn't want to scare the crap out of her LOL. TP is a bit more for launch fees but the time savings is worth it you will burn $10 driving around the bay int the truck and around pottahawk with the boat. Going through the bay following the north channel and going nice and wide around pottahawk is the safe way

Thanks SRT8 - I'll try that next time. Was kind a po'd last time I launched at the park - cost went up from 10 to 13 or so. No announcement, just bang. That drive around the bay from TP is a ride - I'll give it a shot. I found out how far PH point went out much the same way, first time out. Fishinder went from 10 to 1 foot in a flash. managed to slow down and hit the trim button before the sand stopped us, but have been a little more cautious when I see the colour of the water change anywhere near there ever since. I see alot of guys blast through on some of the channels, but i figure they are locals or live on the water and know where the channels are and when they move. For me, avoidance is better thanan introduction of nose to the steering wheel at 20+ mph.

Some nice weed beds off either side of it though.

the tip of the sandbar is (was) marked by a barrel in the past. str8 might know if it is there. from pottohawk i just head for bait island and make runs at the bar until i reach the end and the depth finder stops reading 1.5ft. or i just get sick of waiting and drive over the thing.

it costs more to drive to longpoint in the truck then it does in the boat. the ride to pottohawk from turkey point is about 5 minutes, the drive from turkey point to longpoint is wayyyyyy longer!!!! just so we understand the bar is not a factor if you are leaving from turkey point and going out to the bluff.....