Wheatley-Erieau walleye and steelhead fishing

Bob Devine

The summer bite is on full stride with good catches at both ports. Erieau is doing better on the steelhead but limits of walleyes are coming out of Wheatley. For those fishing walleyes in Wheatley, crawler harnesses with gold, purple or silver blades have been doing best. Torpedo Divers(Shark) off inline boards back 100, 40 jets and dipseys back 60-80 feet over 55-60 fow of water about 6 miles from the marina. For those targetting steelhead a few bonus walleyes have been in the mix using spoons on riggers or dipseys. Riggers down 25-40 and dipseys back 80-120 over 55-60 fow.

Erieau steelhead has been hot with riggers, jets and dipseys all taking a good number of fish. Try running dipseys and jet 80-120 back over 60-70 fow and your riggers down 30-40. Spoons have been working well and those with copper back and orange on the front have been working well. You will pick up a few bonus walleyes in your catch. Check in at Erieau Pro Tackle before heading out for daily reports 519 676 8600.

Erieau 14#.jpg

The summer bite is on full stride with good catches at both ports. Erieau is doing better on the steelhead but limits of walleyes are coming out of Wheatley. For those fishing walleyes in Wheatley, crawler harnesses with gold, purple or silver blades have been doing best. Torpedo Divers(Shark) off inline boards back 100, 40 jets and dipseys back 60-80 feet over 55-60 fow of water about 6 miles from the marina. For those targetting steelhead a few bonus walleyes have been in the mix using spoons on riggers or dipseys. Riggers down 25-40 and dipseys back 80-120 over 55-60 fow.

Erieau steelhead has been hot with riggers, jets and dipseys all taking a good number of fish. Try running dipseys and jet 80-120 back over 60-70 fow and your riggers down 30-40. Spoons have been working well and those with copper back and orange on the front have been working well. You will pick up a few bonus walleyes in your catch. Check in at Erieau Pro Tackle before heading out for daily reports 519 676 8600.

thanks for the report, i might be heading that way tomorrow, but i was thinking of going to leamington, where would be better? leamington or wheatly? and if wheatly where is a good launch?

thanks

thanks for the report, i might be heading that way tomorrow, but i was thinking of going to leamington, where would be better? leamington or wheatly? and if wheatly where is a good launch?

thanks

I have been fishing Wheatley more than Leamington lately and know where the fish are in that area. The ramp in Wheatley is good, to get there exit at Tilbury and take Queen St south which becomes Erie St to Concession Rd 4 turn right and turn at your first left(Cavendish Foods) you will see the signs to the marina.

Alpha- the bite in Wheatley goes til almost labour day. If you come after that Erieau is the better port but you may have to travel off shore a few miles as most of the steelies will be headed back to Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Edited by Bob Devine

went out of wheatley today and caught 5 nice walleyes and alot of sheephead, missed about 4 more nices eyes also, caught them on spinners behind small dispys about 12 to 20 feet down, but had to come in early cause a nice thunder storm was rolling in

Guest Johnny Bass

I'd love to get out there one day and try the trout fishing. I hear its world class! And even Point Pelee for smallies!