French River report

cynmar

Just finished one week Wolesley Bay , French River. Water is down about 4-5ft. Had two fronts roll through so the fishing was tough at best. Run and Gun and only got 2 small pike, one small Muskie and some Rock bass for the whole week. Whole camp , only two other with fish about the same until the last day. One gentleman got onto some smallies, got a good one and some pike and walleye. All and all , very disappointing, surface temp around 70 + , all the fish 40 + feet down hugging the bottom.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Holy Cow does that ever sound tough. I mainly go for musky and it will be interesting to see what some of my spots look like now - with the water levels the way they are. Probably won't improve much for when I head up there in early September. If that's the way the fishing is, it's gonna be a long hard two weeks for me.

What's the launch like there at Wolseley Lodge ?

Edited by Rich Clemens

Holy Cow does that ever sound tough. I mainly go for musky and it will be interesting to see what some of my spots look like now - with the water levels the way they are. Probably won't improve much for when I head up there in early September. If that's the way the fishing is, it's gonna be a long hard two weeks for me.

What's the launch like there at Wolseley Lodge ?

Sorry Rich, don't own my own boat so didn't really look at the launch, however, there were a number of people launching and taking boats out so I guess they are surviving. I take it the Wolesley launch you are talking about is the one where the Wolesley river enters the bay?

Bill

Sorry Rich, don't own my own boat so didn't really look at the launch, however, there were a number of people launching and taking boats out so I guess they are surviving. I take it the Wolesley launch you are talking about is the one where the Wolesley river enters the bay?

Bill

Yup - that would be the one - right there at Wolseley Lodge. We're in cabin 1 - right next to the bridge. I'll be calling the owners of the Lodge before we go - to get an update on the conditions. They usually give me the inner-most part of the dock due to the width of our boat. I may be parking on the beach this year. :lol:

Could be an interesting time with the water levels the way they are. I plan on checking out some new areas this year, so I'll have to be careful in the unknown parts of the water. Even runs I made at Lakair this past June, which were clear before, ain't so clear now. We shall see.

I'll be down the North Channel for the second week at Rainbow Camp. Expecting similar conditions down there. But, being locked on both sides by rapids, I have a pretty good idea on where I can go - and where I can't.

Appreciate the info. Thank-ya Bill.

Yup - that would be the one - right there at Wolseley Lodge. We're in cabin 1 - right next to the bridge. I'll be calling the owners of the Lodge before we go - to get an update on the conditions. They usually give me the inner-most part of the dock due to the width of our boat. I may be parking on the beach this year. :lol:

Could be an interesting time with the water levels the way they are. I plan on checking out some new areas this year, so I'll have to be careful in the unknown parts of the water. Even runs I made at Lakair this past June, which were clear before, ain't so clear now. We shall see.

I'll be down the North Channel for the second week at Rainbow Camp. Expecting similar conditions down there. But, being locked on both sides by rapids, I have a pretty good idea on where I can go - and where I can't.

Appreciate the info. Thank-ya Bill.

Who knows , maybe I'm a bad fisherman but I tried jigging with different colours, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, trolling with Deep diver and different sized lures nothing. The only thing we had success with at all were top water baits, the Pop R and another one I can';t remember the name of. But even then, when we got hits, if they missed on the first boil (which they usually do), they didn't come back for the second try, even when we did let it sit. The last day there, the gentleman got some smallies at a little bay on the north side of the main channel south of Twin Pines bay. There was also some success in the bay in behind Lochhaven Lodge.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Just finished one week Wolesley Bay , French River. Water is down about 4-5ft. Had two fronts roll through so the fishing was tough at best. Run and Gun and only got 2 small pike, one small Muskie and some Rock bass for the whole week. Whole camp , only two other with fish about the same until the last day. One gentleman got onto some smallies, got a good one and some pike and walleye. All and all , very disappointing, surface temp around 70 + , all the fish 40 + feet down hugging the bottom.

Bill

too bad for you. i just got back from the french river and caught easily over 80 fish. I thought the fishing was great. Mostly smallmouth and pike but we also got a baby musky and a couple walleyes.

check out my report: zone 10 fishing

Edited by trevy727

Guest Johnny Bass

Sucks about the fishing. I fished up there for 2 days and the fishing was sporadic. Missed the morning bite both times but the evening bite never disappointed. Great scenery up there and seen my first hummingbird.