Lake Clear

hunterjoe84

Hello all. I will be making a trip to Lake Clear with my wife of one week for a pre honeymoon trip. I have no experience with the lake, however I hear the fishing is great at times. If anyone has any tips, tactics, hotspots, lure choice or any other information that would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you want. We will be staying at Opeongo Mountain Resort from July 8-12. Thanks all and great fishing!!

Joe

EXTREME clear water--guess they named the lake correctly.

Good population of smallies and walleyes.

Because of the water clarity locals come out at dusk to fish walleys-----fish deeper structure in daylight.

I've caught them about 20-24 ft down in sunshine.

Watch that slot size and lower fish limit though.

There's lakers and pike in there also.

Hunterjoe you picked a great place to go. My buddy has a cottage on lake clear and we have been fishing it as much as we can. Walleye during the day are there for the taking. Average size is about 24 inches. We drift jig them in 20 to 30 fow. My favorite is to carolina rig with a nice shiner. The smallies are huge and so fat some of them look deformed. Some days there tough to catch though. You can see bottom in 20+ fow. If you see them chances are they have seen you and chances of catching them are slim. You need to take as long a cast as you can make to avoid spooking them. I like the far end of the lake where the islands are. Had better luck there for smallies and daytime walleyes. There are largies in there as well but the smallies are way bigger from what I have seen. They say theres smallies in there weighing upwards of 8 lbs but so far I havent caught any over 5 but lots in the 4 to 5 lb range. I think the slot for walleye is anything under 19 inches has to be returned. Its a safe lake for running around in, just stay in the middle of the lake. Up the lake around the islands is good as well just stay in the middle between the islands and you will be okay. The boat launch is fair and where you are staying is a great place nice cabins and lots of space and things to do. Thw water level on the lake is normal since it is primarily spring fed. Have a good time and post some pics of them fat smallies. Oh yeah fluorocarbon leaders are a must.