Shakedown fish report in new 621

Gman

Well after 7.5 months wait and getting'er all rigged buddy and I hooked up for the long awaited inaugural riggin' shakedown out on Lake Ontario.

Had the boat in water for around 6am and ran down towards the islands. First time out with the the Lowrance HDS8's so had some playing around and learnin' to do.

Picture001-1.jpg

Surface temp was 76-77 degrees with beautiful green water, had 42 degree temps down in the 100+ range but nothing but shaker city. I'll admit I did get the first fish to the boat but it was a shaker! Not many boat out either considering the weather.

The wind started to pick up and we also thought it was time to switch spots so we pulled and ran back towards the launch and set up in 80fow and decided to troll with the wind/waves. Here's what she looks like with a 4 rod spread -

Picture002-1.jpg

Then I was playing a little more with the 2 units and called buddy to come watch this -

IMG00118-20100620-1030.jpg

no sooner did he finish saying that is wire would fire did it go and we were locked with our first mature of the day on a spinny/fly -

Picture006.jpg

Then this one paid a visit to the carpet -

Picture009.jpg

Then it was game on from there Rods firing left and right, had double and almost a triple. All kings except I believe for 1 bow which Dave slung into the boat so fast the poor thing probably thought for a second it was a bass At one point all rods we're out of the water.

marked some nice pods of bait out there too -

Picture016.jpg

My buddy was nice enough to take some great shots, I offered however I guess he was feeling a little camera shy! I know you guys will love these ones ;)

Picture011-1.jpg

Just after the double -

Picture014.jpg

Guess he also snapped one off of me with stick in hand!

Picture015.jpg

Guess you can tell which colour metal blade was hot!

Picture018.jpg

Couple more for the guys -

Picture020-1.jpg

Hey and look at this one I got what I think is a smile or sumpin' on my face

Picture024-1.jpg

Ended the day I believe 10/12 after the shaker morning. We had a great day, not big boys we wanted but quality reel peel and time on the sticks which is exactly what we were after and what the Dr. ordered These fish really fought well. One fish had me wrapped around both cables then my stick under the boat and he jumped on the otherside - what the hell,,,,pure olympics but a real blast. Another fish smashed my spoon on the surface while I was putting it in the clip but never got a good hook set :angry:

I couldn't be more happier with the way the I rigged the boat, the way it handled & fished. I'm glad I took the time to do it right. It held it's line and tracked very well given then chop and lots of room to play and store gear. The thru hull transducer is nice too - held bottom even when running @ 50+mph!! With regards to the HDS8's, still got some tweaking and fine tuning as I'm not marking both balls constantly which I'm sure it's some setting or something cause these units are sophisticated & powerfull. It's gonna take a good while to figure these things out.

Thanks to my bud for another great day and joining me on the inaugural shakedown fish. Lots of fun and like we said, exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Cheers G.

The fishing is heating up along the north shore. Just make sure you check your line and swivels after each fish as the next one could be your tyee as the fish are BIG this year!

Cheers G.

Guest Johnny Bass

The Lowrance is amazing. Man you guys must have forearms like Popeye having days like that! You look like a pro in that ranger shirt.