Techniques for Summer Lake Trout

Sudzy

I'm new to fishing lake trout.

Most of the gear I currently have is more bass/walleye oriented.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for someone getting into summer lake trout fishing.

There are anywhere from 40 feet to 60 feet or more in the lake I fish.

Down riggers aren't really an option for my boat.

Currently I have been running a three way rig to get down to the right depth with some success.

Was also looking into dispy / jet divers, or possibly steel line.

Just wondering what you guys recommend in terms of gear (rod, reels, etc) for someone starting out and not wanting to spend a ton.

Thanks in advance,

Sudzy

Edited by Sudzy

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i frequently use the 3 way rig, but if you are using electronics and wish to achieve a specific depth, a dipsy diver or similar product is an excellent option.

Hey Sudzy,

dunno whether you saw my recent report.....but i stopped using downriggers and mostly anchor up in 50-60 FOW and vertical jig them with jigs and minnows or jigging raps/spoons/swedish pimples/white tube jigs etc....basically the same lures and techniques i use when icefishing.

I have certain spots marked now on my gps...but i found these by picking an area and slowly trolling a grid pattern with a constant eye on the fishfinder...as soon as i see bait fish ...anchor up and jig....you'll be able to watch the trout on your sonar come up and hit the bait...really fun way to catch them...and very effective when your'e not in too deep a lake. It also gives you an up close and personal view of what lures they like, really like and outright reject on any given day as you are watching in real time their reaction .

Here's a sample vid of me using the technique in on Sunday.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Inline weights and dipsies were working for me 2 weeks ago, the fish were down 20 to 50 feet.

Dipsies allow you to troll more precise on structure or keep on schools. Top baits lately were yozuri minnows, j9, j11, j13, smaller husky jerks.

Also had a lot of luck using NK28s, stingers and Northports, monkey puke was lights out. The trout were feeding on shrimp but mostly cisco.

I have descent luck fishing 50-55 fow using dipseys and any kind of spoon( nk28,5 of diamonds,larger cleos). I also caught a few on f-7s,f-9s again on dipseys or pink ladies.Others that fish the lake have luck with the vertical jigging thingy.

Similar to the jigging method, my preference is to drop shot for them. experiment with different baits, distance from the bottom, etc... general rule of thumb is to leave the bait TOTALLY still and wait to feel a subtle tick. Make sure you have your finger on the line for feel.

this method can be killer when the fish are in a neutral to negative mood and don't want to chase moving baits (tubes, jigging spoons, etc...)

Great thanks for all the advice guys.

For the dipsys - what kind of rod/reel/line set up is recommended?

Yeah, What Limeyangler said. I love fishing that way. Beats down rigging any day as you can see and feel them lakers hitting! It's like playing a video game.

Rob C

Edited by Rob C

Hey Limeyangler

Try using a drop shot setup with a 2.5" berkley gulp shiner. When they start to come up to see what it is, start reeling up until they hit or when they go back down. That is when they really hammer it!

Rob C

Edited by Rob C