Elephant lake

Chugger

Hey Folks,

So on the reccomendation of a few folks from the board I'm heading there next week for a few days of hopefully good fishing. Does anyone have any tips for me on areas to look at or what has worked in the past?

Cheers

-Graeme

Edited by Chugger

Glad to hear the pike are plentiful, would love to getinto some Musky, but I doubt I'll spend much time targeting them, as the person I'm with probably won't be up for it. Perhaps trolling. Didn't realize the pickeral fishing was that tough either. bass fishing will open our last day there (saturday june 26) so we'll hit them hard day of.

Head to the island and fish the weedbeds around it and head east from there for some good patchy weeds. It's a fairly small lake so you shouldn't have any problems locating fish. Just look for any weedbeds in 8-10' of water and you should do fine with the pike, the mixed weedbeds are the best (cabbage and millfoil). Those weedbeds also hold huge LM Bass. There are some muskie in there and I have caught a few over the years. White Spinner baits work well.

You can also head for the narrows into Baptiste Lake. There is some good muskie fishing along the shoreline in Baptiste once you go through the tight area of the narrows and it starts to open up towardds the lake. Watch for logs though.

Unfortunately, pike have taken over the musky population. Bring the charm and ask the locals where the pickerel are. Some will scratch their head, and some will give you an honest answer. It's a typical holding area, so keep an eye out for the deepest part of the lake. I have personally never caught a pickerel in there, and I have spent a lot of time fishing that lake. I know for a fact it's not just me ... even though it's sadly just me 99% of the time! Concentrate on the mid lake gardens for the "bigger" fish. You will have to zig zag around to find them. Good luck!

My friends and I have always seemed to find decent numbers of pike and bass in the above mentioned 10 FOW weed beds. Work the rock points for some good size smallmouth and the shallow weed beds for the largemouth. I have only caught one muskie there but have seen two others caught and they were all off of 10-12 FOW weed beds. I'll be heading up July 9th-11th so keep us all posted with how you make out.