Old Fly Box (I think it's old).

Hey everyone....

My mom sent me this old Fly fishing box, well it looks old anyway.

She paid $10.00 for it at a garage sale.

It has 16 doors and lot's of flies that are in pretty good shape.

I never been fly fishing, so don't know much about this area of the sport.

Just wondering if anyone out there had an idea as to where this box would come from.

Or if you seen one like it.

I attached a picture of the box and one of the flies.

No name or date on it anywhere.

Cheers,

John

DSC00560.png

DSC00564.png

Hey everyone....

My mom sent me this old Fly fishing box, well it looks old anyway.

She paid $10.00 for it at a garage sale.

It has 16 doors and lot's of flies that are in pretty good shape.

I never been fly fishing, so don't know much about this area of the sport.

Just wondering if anyone out there had an idea as to where this box would come from.

Or if you seen one like it.

I attached a picture of the box and one of the flies.

No name or date on it anywhere.

Cheers,

John

The fly appears to be an Atlantic Salmon pattern, probably east coast origin, knowing the tyer would maybe add to the value. If the box is old and either " Perrine" or "Wheatly " there would be some collector value to the box as well.

You might already know this, but the side with the little boxes is for "dry" flies, and the side with the felt is for "wet" flies. I have a similar box that I bought in the 70's.

The fly you show is pretty gaudy...It looks like a Salmon fly, as Dave has already suggested.

well, the fly you show up close has a real jc nail. It would cost quite a bit to make all those at today's prices if other flies use similar quality materials.

He guys... thanks for the responses.

46 fly's in the box, some very small and some a bit larger in size.

Looks to be about 4 different sizes and the detail is very well done.

The garage sale was in Portland Ontario, just outside of Smiths Falls.

A friend of mine guessed that they were for Atlantic Salmon but was not so sure.

I will take all the flies out and try to get a bigger/nice detailed picture of the them.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Nice find by your Mom, John. I had one of those boxes in the early 60's when I dabbled in fly fishing. Without them being a craze, they were certainly a popular model fly box. I don't think it's a Wheatly as most of their products had the company name stamped into the outside metal covers. I would suspect that the box and flies would fetch $150 or so.

And while I'm a very long way from being an expert, the pictured fly appears to be a variation of the very popular Jock Scott.

You might be interested in clicking on the link below to see if there are any match-ups with your fly box.

http://www.vintagefi...accessories.htm

Someone more knowledgeable will surely chime in.

Nice find by your Mom, John. I had one of those boxes in the early 60's when I dabbled in fly fishing. Without them being a craze, they were certainly a popular model fly box. I don't think it's a Wheatly as most of their products had the company name stamped into the outside metal covers. I would suspect that the box and flies would fetch $150 or so.

And while I'm a very long way from being an expert, the pictured fly appears to be a variation of the very popular Jock Scott.

You might be interested in clicking on the link below to see it there are any match-ups with your fly box.

http://www.vintagefishingtackle.com/accessories.htm

Hey Roy.

Thanks so much for the help...

Ya, I was pretty impressed with my mom, she has no idea at all about anything fishing but knows that it's my passion

and just grabbed it off the table and asked how much they wanted for it.

The lady who sold it to my mom, I think her husband passed away and was selling off old stuff from thier garage.

Too bad my mom didn't get the fly rods...

The box is scratched and dinged all to hell and some of the the doors are a little tough to open but the flies

all seem in great shape and some with very, very small hooks.

I always wanted to learn fly fishing, now this has peaked my interest.

One thing though I have made quite clear to my wife... when I'm gone, she better give all my fishing gear to my son or to my best fishing buddies. Geeeez.

Thanks again, I'll check the link and see what I find.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Broken Bobber

You might be interested in clicking on the link below to see it there are any match-ups with your fly box.

http://www.vintagefishingtackle.com/accessories.htm'>http://www.vintagefishingtackle.com/accessories.htm

http://www.vintagefishingtackle.com/accessories.htm

Great site! Thanks!