Catching little trout??

tonka

What kind of "little" trout are you catching?

There are a few things you can do to handle them in order not to hurt them. It's a shame to lose little fish like that, but they LOVE to hit just about anything, so this information should be known.

1) Most importantly, PINCH DOWN THE BARBS on your hooks/lures. You don't miss landing fish from pinching down barbs. You miss landing fish from not keeping your line tight enough. Barbs have very little to do with it. At first, I was hesitant to pinch down the barbs on "that $10 Rapala" but it really NEEDS to be done. Pinched down barbs make for better photo opportunities, more living fish, and easy/clean unhookings.

2) Avoid using worms (live bait in general) in areas that are littered with lots of tiny and/or young stocked trout. These fish inhale spinners, you should see what they do to a worm.

3) Make sure you are carrying a net and that the fish isn't out of water long. You can hold the fish in water while you are unhooking it. Needlenose pliers are a must in your vest/tacklebox - they can, and do, save fish.

4) Make sure your hands are wet before handling a fish.

5) Don't grab the fish by their gill-plates.

6) You may have to revive a fish you've caught (big and small alike). After unhooking them, hold them in the water column facing the current. Place one hand under their belly and one hand gently near the tail and rock them back and forth slowly. This gives them oxygen and helps the shock wear off. You may have to do this for awhile at times, but usually they get their "feet" again and quickly swim away (though I spent 10 minutes reviving a big brown this week).

7) Last, and not least, STOP TARGETING TROUT WHEN THE WATER HEATS UP. Trout are a coldwater fish, and require cold temperatures to flourish. When the rivers/streams/lakes heat up @ the end of June - Early September trout survival rate after being caught and released goes way down. They deplete their oxygen during the fight much quicker and many are lost. You should focus on something else for the peak summer months (the trout bite, save for the dumb small ones, gets a lot tougher anyways).

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

What kind of "little" trout are you catching?

There are a few things you can do to handle them in order not to hurt them. It's a shame to lose little fish like that, but they LOVE to hit just about anything, so this information should be known.

1) Most importantly, PINCH DOWN THE BARBS on your hooks/lures. You don't miss landing fish from pinching down barbs. You miss landing fish from not keeping your line tight enough. Barbs have very little to do with it. At first, I was hesitant to pinch down the barbs on "that $10 Rapala" but it really NEEDS to be done. Pinched down barbs make for better photo opportunities, more living fish, and easy/clean unhookings.

2) Avoid using worms (live bait in general) in areas that are littered with lots of tiny and/or young stocked trout. These fish inhale spinners, you should see what they do to a worm.

3) Make sure you are carrying a net and that the fish isn't out of water long. You can hold the fish in water while you are unhooking it. Needlenose pliers are a must in your vest/tacklebox - they can, and do, save fish.

4) Make sure your hands are wet before handling a fish.

5) Don't grab the fish by their gill-plates.

6) You may have to revive a fish you've caught (big and small alike). After unhooking them, hold them in the water column facing the current. Place one hand under their belly and one hand gently near the tail and rock them back and forth slowly. This gives them oxygen and helps the shock wear off. You may have to do this for awhile at times, but usually they get their "feet" again and quickly swim away (though I spent 10 minutes reviving a big brown this week).

7) Last, and not least, STOP TARGETING TROUT WHEN THE WATER HEATS UP. Trout are a coldwater fish, and require cold temperatures to flourish. When the rivers/streams/lakes heat up @ the end of June - Early September trout survival rate after being caught and released goes way down. They deplete their oxygen during the fight much quicker and many are lost. You should focus on something else for the peak summer months (the trout bite, save for the dumb small ones, gets a lot tougher anyways).

Cheers,

Ryan

Excellent advice!

and I'm just going to double up on probably the three most important tips mentioned

Barbless Hooks, fine mesh nets and hemostats or needlenose piers. Keeping that fish in the water and easy hook removal are probably the two biggest steps you can take to ensure fish survive the release. With a net and pliers, you shouldn't even need to take the fish out of the water!

I want to fish for brookies but I know there are little rainbows in there. I file off the barbs. I was planning on using berkley trout baits. Is it too warm now? Thanks for the details.

Trout fishing for this season is now reaching the point that it is much more difficult for us to fish and for fish to survive when you catch them. I'll probably fish for Browns until the Bass Opener, but our Brookie season is over. You can TRY targeting them again from Sept 1 - Sept 30.