Victoria Day Brown Trout

12 Volt Man

Hello everyone! I am new to this board but have been fishing almost all my life. I wanted to share a pic of a big brown trout I caught off the pier at Bronte Harbour this past Victoria Day. the fish was caught on a Rattlin' Rapala crankbait. the fish was released to swim and be caught another day.

one question I have for the experts is this:

are browns like this around the river mouths all year or just in the spring? I was curious to know.

thanks!

-12 Volt

troutresized.jpg

Welcome to the board and beauty fish man :clapping: . Also great to hear a fish like that went back.

Once the water starts to really warm up the trout will head out to the deeper and colder water and it will be a tougher go off the pier. But they will be back in the fall.

are browns like this around the river mouths all year or just in the spring? I was curious to know.

thanks!

-12 Volt

Sweet brownie…Welcome aboard

Migratory browns sometimes cruise around rivermouths and piers looking for food throughout the year (other than the times where they're staging before the spawn in the fall). If you can time it right, you can get a whack of them in June/July/August if the conditions are right. When they were heavily stocked a while back in my local spots, it wasn’t uncommon to get a dozen or more fish like yours off the rocks or pier in the summer with nobody around. You’d see them busting baitfish near the surface and just about any minnow-bait, spinner or spoon would get them. Browns stay closer to shore out in Lake O than the other migratory salmonids and can tolerate warmer temps. I used to know 1 guy who launched out of Ashbridges bay who specifically targeted them out in the lake not too far out from shore in summer. Personally speaking, I haven’t caught a migratory brown like that for quite some time around my local piers and rivers. Congrats!

Sweet brownie…Welcome aboard

Migratory browns sometimes cruise around rivermouths and piers looking for food throughout the year (other than the times where they're staging before the spawn in the fall). If you can time it right, you can get a whack of them in June/July/August if the conditions are right. When they were heavily stocked a while back in my local spots, it wasn't uncommon to get a dozen or more fish like yours off the rocks or pier in the summer with nobody around. You'd see them busting baitfish near the surface and just about any minnow-bait, spinner or spoon would get them. Browns stay closer to shore out in Lake O than the other migratory salmonids and can tolerate warmer temps. I used to know 1 guy who launched out of Ashbridges bay who specifically targeted them out in the lake not too far out from shore in summer. Personally speaking, I haven't caught a migratory brown like that for quite some time around my local piers and rivers. Congrats!

thanks all!

actually, there were baitfish being busted all around where I caught this fish, which is exactly why I was using a minnow crankbait and it paid off. find the baitfish and you find the fish that are eating them. hopefully.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Welcome

I think you meant to say you were somewhere else I heard there was no fish in Bronte you must have photo shopped the background whistling.gif

the only anglers who say there are no fish at Bronte are the ones that never fish it....:)

its like the lottery - you can't win if you don't play..