wolseley bay / french river

mattybculp

hey guys heading up to wolseley bay french river in a week and a half just wondering if anyone has been up fishing in that area or on the french river at all this year if you could give me your feedback and how the fishing was it would be much appreciated

I was there May 24 weekend (actually, Lochaven Lodge, across from Wolesley bay).

No one did well at the lodge where I was staying. The weather was hot (30c) and sunny most of the weekend. There was also very little in the way of submerged weeds.

The only descent fist of the 3 days was a 36" pike I caught on the first day, which was overcast and cooler. That fish was hugging a tree stump in about 10 FOW. Caught on a #5 Mepps aglia long.

A few pike were actually caught in about 20-25 feet of water, directly below the dock at the lodge.

No one caught any walleye either while I was there.

Hopefully, things have improved by now.

Good luck.

Go under the bridge up the river to the top for evening fishing, a couple of miles up. You will know when you get there.. Also go over to five fingers. They will have a map for you there at the lodge.

Good luck.

The water level in that region has dropped significantly, almost 3 feet I believe, from where it was last year. Therefore prepare yourself for not a ton of productivity. The water temperatures all depend on the weather which I believe is supposed to cool down in a couple of days.

I have been fishing there for a number of years and so long as you get an early start to the day you will catch fish. Probably in farther out then where you normally fish due to the low water levels. Try areas such as restouille bay, eagles island, and try trolling at night and casting in the morning right outside of sturgeon bay which is quite close to wolseley bay. Those places always produce fish ranging from bass, muskie and pike.

Hope that helps

Are you staying at a lodge?

I sure hope the water levels improve at Wolseley by September. I'll be rolling in there on Sept. 4. Keep thinking about that sand bar that is right there at the launch. Best of luck to ya and post a report when you get back .. with pics of the big fish of course.

Keep thinking about that sand bar that is right there at the launch.

You can't get across it right now. River is down more than 4'. Stick tight to Harold's docks coming in and out.

The water level in that region has dropped significantly, almost 3 feet I believe, from where it was last year. Therefore prepare yourself for not a ton of productivity. The water temperatures all depend on the weather which I believe is supposed to cool down in a couple of days.

I have been fishing there for a number of years and so long as you get an early start to the day you will catch fish. Probably in farther out then where you normally fish due to the low water levels. Try areas such as restouille bay, eagles island, and try trolling at night and casting in the morning right outside of sturgeon bay which is quite close to wolseley bay. Those places always produce fish ranging from bass, muskie and pike.

Hope that helps

Are you staying at a lodge?

Yes I am I am staying at wolseley bay. Do you know of any guides up on the french?

Yes I am I am staying at wolseley bay. Do you know of any guides up on the french?

Our first year at Wolseley Lodge, we hired a guide. Marcel was his name. Noce fellow, seemed to know the water pretty good. Been guiding for them quite a few years. We were trying to target musky, but he really didn't do much musky fishing. He took us to several places that had potential. Although we didn't catch any, it gave us a few places to try again. I do believe Wolseley uses other guides, as I've seen a number of groups going out at the same time, but I don't know the names of the others. Primarily they were going our to bass and walleye.