Bilge float switch

I have to put a float switch in the new boat and I have a couple questions first I don`t want to drill holes in the fibreglass so I was wondering what adhesive I could use, I was thinking something like a PL Premium.

And second I want to put an inline fuse on the float switch and was wondering what amp fuse to use, 5 or 10.

Thanks

Gord

Edited by lookinforwalleye

I have to put a float switch in the new boat and I have a couple questions first I don`t want to drill holes in the fibreglass so I was wondering what adhesive I could use, I was thinking something like a PL Premium.

And second I want to put an inline fuse on the float switch and was wondering what amp fuse to use, 5 or 10.

Thanks

Gord

Make sure it's bone dry and clean before you glue it, I'd use 3M 4200/5200. What size fuse is recommended for the bilge pump? That's the one to use, I suspect a 5amp, although a 10 won't hurt.

I bolted one to a piece of steel and set it in place, anything goes wrong with it you can just pull it out.

Don't depend completely on a float switch, there are lots of nightmare stories that involve them, best to check on the boat or have someone check on it once in a while and after a rain.

I would also switch the float switch.

The float will or could burn out its point’s contacts or the bilge pump itself from being electrically toggled on and off continually, while out on choppy water. I’ve wired my float pump to a three way switch; this allows me to turn off the pump completely, on continually or set it to only come on when the float dictates it.

Dan.