Boater Ethics

LucG

On Sunday, our local Bass club had a pike tournement on Nipissing. We launched at the Sturgeon docks at 8:00, and had all of Nipissing to fish. On our way out, we came accross two stranded fisherman in a small 14/16 ft alluminium boat. After waving us down, we found out that they had had motor issues and that they had to stay out on an island over night.

Now here's the interesting part. They said they broke down on the other side of the lake. Managed to get to an island where they eventually ended up staying the night. The next morning, they waved down another boat who towed them 10 km to another island. Said he couldnt take them any further due to the lake conditions and left them on another island a short distance away from the mouth of the sturgeon river. They managed to paddle into the mouth, then broke one of their paddles. Thats where we came in. One of our club members towed him back to where he had launched.

I would have though that the first boat should have towed him in to safety??? NO??

You are obligated to assist until it puts your vessel in harms way.

What puzzles me is why they didn't contact authorities to carry out the 'rescue'.

I was wondering the same thing, Brian.

You are obligated to assist until it puts your vessel in harms way.

What puzzles me is why they didn't contact authorities to carry out the 'rescue'.

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently, these guys werent making that much sense, and it was hard to get the story (the facts MAY be slightly different then mentioned above). But after a night in the bush, I doubt I'd be making sense too.

Edited by LucG