Any Electrical Buffs in the House??

Northhunter

I have XM radio. Picked it up because I listen to a variety of music and the local FM radio stations were just ticking me off.

The receiver is a portable model, but I can only power it by plugging the adapter into a wall outlet or using the car attachment, which pops into a cigarette lighter.

It's a nice unit, but would be an awesome one if I could take it along on fishing excursions. The unit itself says 5V DC. The adapter lists INPUT: 100-120v -- 0.4A 50-60Hz and OUTPUT: 5V -- 2.0A MAX

Is there any way I could power it off a battery for use in a boat, or at a campsite? They make a portable "boombox", but it runs close to $100 and has a lot of cons (looks, reception, battery life, etc.).

Anyone?

You could get a portable power pack from canadiantire they are always on sale, usually have plug sockets and lighter sockets and booster cables. I never leave home without one, they have helped me in the boat and car even powered my TV and DVD player for 4 hours when the hydro goes out.

Ditto on the Poweboxes from Canadian Tire. They are bascially bug batteries with inverters and outlets for household current. You'll use it for everything from fishing trips to camping...and for powering radio's and such during power outages. They are always on sale...so dont get one at regular price.

Irish.. didn't even know I could do that!

I thaught about a portable unit.. but I fish out of smaller boats. With all the crap I already take with me (trolling motor, fishfinder, extra battery, multiple rods etc., etc.) I don't think it would help keep the clutter factor down.. but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the replies.