Bob Izumi's Kids and Cops Family Fishing Day

FlyGuy5

I went out to the Kids and Cops Family Fishing Day to volunteer my time and give back to Kids who are the future of fishing. It was held at the Seymour Conservation Area in Cambelford. They stock the pond with over 500 rainbow trout so I figured good place to bring my fly tying equimpment to teach and show kids how to tie flies then be able to give them to the kid so they could catch Trout or Rock Bass. I found that a lot of kids wanted to know what I was doing and when I told them they wanted to see it done which I loved doing and explaining what I was doing. I just stuck to basic patterens exept one kid wanted to watch me tie a crayfish and when I was done he was so amazed with the fly. After a while of tying I went on to help 2 kid catch there 1st fish of there life which was just as rewarding for me to see the smile of there faces as it was for them to reel in the fish and be able to touch it and release it. It was a great feeling as I sure it was for the 2 young boys too. I gave out flies to anyone who wanted them to use either that day or some other time. I watch a few kids catch fish on my fly which was great to see the best fly of the day was a Hares ear nymph. I just hope that I got kids intreseted in fishing and fly fishing as well it was a great experance and I can't wait to do it again...

Kids and Cops family fishing day 001.jpg

Kids and Cops family fishing day 015.jpg 1.jpg

Edited by flyguy5

Guest Johnny Bass

Very nice! Its good to see the kids enjoying some outdoor good old fashioned fun rather than staying inside and playing video games all day!

Izumi's foundation sponsors these kids events and they are always worth the effort to attend. Great job by everyone involved to get kids and their families out fishing and spending time together outside.

I always have the highest regard for the sponsor's who support these youth angler recruitment projects because that is the future standing on the shoreline. If we don't get them out fishing young, we usually never bring them into the sport later in life.

Congradulations to everyone who volunteered at this and other similar events across the province.