Lake Couchaching - Menoke Beach Road Area

Hello Folks,

This weekend a group of friends and I are heading off to a cottage on Lake Couchaching. I've never actually fished the lake but from the research I have done I have found that Pike are definitely present in the lake and many sources say that there is a Walleye fishery (which surprised me).

Are there lots of Pike present? Are there Walleye in the lake? I am trying to avoid hooking any SMB or LMB.

We're on the West side of the lake, near the Menoke Beach area and we would also like to rent a 14' boat or something in that range. (My buddy doesn't want to bring his boat due to the shallow levels of Sparrow lake a few years ago when we had to beach his boat some 50-100 feet off shore.) If anyone knows of any boat rental locations in the Menoke Beach Road area, that would be ideal as well.

Report coming on Tuesday! Thanks in Advance,

Ryan

I believe bass is closed till the end of June. There are walleye, perch, panfish and pike in the lake though.

Yes they are (which is why I want to avoid hooking any).

I heard about a Perch run in early May at the Couch or something, but I would rather target Pike and Walleye.

Blue Beacon will be your best bet for boat rentals. There are walleye in the lake, but in 6 years of guiding and fishing it heavily, I have landed 1 and lost 1. Not even worth targetting IMO. Pike fishing can be excellent this time of year. Suspending jerkbaits and spinnerbaits will get you some takers, the fish are moving out deeper now, try in the 7-15 foot range. Green weeds are a bonus!

Blue Beacon will be your best bet for boat rentals. There are walleye in the lake, but in 6 years of guiding and fishing it heavily, I have landed 1 and lost 1. Not even worth targetting IMO. Pike fishing can be excellent this time of year. Suspending jerkbaits and spinnerbaits will get you some takers, the fish are moving out deeper now, try in the 7-15 foot range. Green weeds are a bonus!

Great info Steve. Thank you kindly. I looked into Blue Beacon and they have a great policy and amazing prices, so I suspect I will go there for at least a 1 day rental. I have a whole tray of husky jerks. Sounds like I'll be getting my chance to use them! Very excited.

If I get into some fish I'll be sure to make a "Steve-Like" report.

Ryan