Great day on Rice Lake (Lost a rod and found it the Next day)

FlyGuy5

Went out on Rice Lake on Thursday and Friday night for some Walleye. Thursday night was good we caught about 15 Walleye only having one in the slot size the rest were dinks nothing to really speak of. It was dark and my buddy just landed a Walleye and somehow after taking the hook out he had his rod and reel and lure go into the water and being so dark we couldn't see it only fishing in about 10 fow. It started to rain so I marked it on my GPS and we decided to pack it in and come back out on Friday night to look for it. My buddy at work thinks of a way that he would be able to rake the bottom of the lake in hope to catch his rod and reel. He put together 4 peices of rebar with 4 hooks he tied it all together and it did look like it might work . I told him but this might wreck your rod if you do find it, so he said pass me the duck tape lol.. He tape the whole thing with duck tape. We went right back to the spot Thanks to the GPS and he tied 2 peices of rope to the big rebar rake and started to drag it about 30 feet before he pulled it up to find nothing but weeds, he tossed it back out and went another 30 feet and pulled it up as he had caught his rod with the rake I couldn't believe it, it took us only 20 minutes to find the rod and reel which now we had more time to fish. We had a great night of walleye fishing cathing over 40 Walleye but nothing over the slot size we the biggest one was about 17 inches and again lots of dinks. All in All it was a great day as we found my buddy's $250 rod with reel and lure all attached. At the end of the night we were stopped by the MNR and the OPP they checked all the walleye that we had in the live well and everything was good to go they said we had caught the most fish on the lake that day. Then they asked us what the rebar was for and we told them they had a good laugh.... he are some pics enjoyMay 14th 2010 027.jpgMay 14th 2010 003.jpg

Edited by flyguy5

Guest Johnny Bass

Great story. I love happy endings.LOL Sounds like the pickerel action was hot also. I have been getting into alot of dinks also. Have yet to catch one for the pan!