Knots for heavy fluorocarbon

Well i've wasted more than a few feet of my expensive roll of 50lb Seaguar fluorocarbon trying to tie up some leaders for pike fishing next weekend. I tried the polymer knot with little success i can barely even pull the knot tight enough to get all of the slack out of the knot even with lots of lube. The improved clinch knot seems to be working alright except the line seems to get a little kinked almost and looks rather unsighly and crooked after pulling the line through. Anyways i was wondering if anyone has any tips for tying with this stuff or any knots that are easier tying with before i run out of line. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm having the same problem, your question reminded me I wanted to see if I could find better ways.

I just googled seagaur, found their site & the following:

http://www.seaguar.com/seaguar-community/knot-guide.htm

I'll be trying them myself next time I work on tackle, let us know if this helps!

Michael

I'm having the same problem, your question reminded me I wanted to see if I could find better ways.

I just googled seagaur, found their site & the following:

http://www.seaguar.com/seaguar-community/knot-guide.htm

I'll be trying them myself next time I work on tackle, let us know if this helps!

Michael

This is actually the first place i looked for tips. I havent tried the chapstick for lube on the knot tip because i don't have any handy but i have tried vegetable oil and it has helped a bit but i still get the unsightly curve after i pull the line through.

Good luck! I use crimps, never found a knot that worked well.

+1

I'd rather crimp too but I never tried crimps on such light line 50lb. Easier to crimp 80 lb+ for me because I can see whats going on.

Crimping loop leaders is great though because it does not make the flouro get into very sharp small turns like a knot would and risk weakening it.

Also the loop on a crimped leader allows lots of bait movement.

Finally, a crimped leader can have a spring (or wire casing) added to the loop to really cut down on the lure abrasions, making the leader last longer.

Edited by Syn

I use knots on 100 lb but this is a good way to get it done right.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

just pull the tag end only. there by preserving the business end.

This is actually the first place i looked for tips. I havent tried the chapstick for lube on the knot tip because i don't have any handy but i have tried vegetable oil and it has helped a bit but i still get the unsightly curve after i pull the line through.