100's of Carp... are they biting?

TC1OZ

Went out late afternoon to leak test my "new" boat. Went really well... only one tiny leak. While me and my buddy were lugging it into the water his daughter was pointing to the water saying "fishy". I look to my left at the little creek assuming there's a tad pole. Nothing, I'm like wheres the fish? She points out to the lake again, I'm like OHHHHHHHHH jeeze!

Seriously there were over a hundred that I could count in a matter of seconds...

Now are they coming into spawn? The area I was at the water was fairly shallow. Do they feed when they are in this close freaking out?

They were just slapping each other almost... not sure exactly.

There was this one that came right up to shore...like less than a foot from shore. I went over by it, stayed COMPLETELY still until I walked away and it took off like a bat out of hell. Huge swells of water as it took off.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to catch one of these guys... If so.. what bait would I use. Its ALL slop (probably the reason they were surfacing (just hitting seaweed everywhere else).

Here is a video of just one of the MANY swarms I saw :

http://yfrog.us/10dscf0877z (can't do a direct link with .mp4 on this site....)

And here's what the whole area looks like :

dscf0879q.jpg

How would you even being to fish this area? Would it be a waste of time (the skeeters are horrible in this area lol)?

Edited by TC1OZ

I flyfish for carp in the shallows. Could you PM me and tell me where u were??????

Thanks

Landry

I sent you a PM. Hopefully I don't see 100's of fishermen at the end of my street.... :whistling:

They are spawning!

Thanks! That's what I was assuming. At first when I just saw one swell I assumed its a beaver taking out a fish or something. Then I noticed them ALLLL over!

Went out late afternoon to leak test my "new" boat. Went really well... only one tiny leak. While me and my buddy were lugging it into the water his daughter was pointing to the water saying "fishy". I look to my left at the little creek assuming there's a tad pole. Nothing, I'm like wheres the fish? She points out to the lake again, I'm like OHHHHHHHHH jeeze!

Seriously there were over a hundred that I could count in a matter of seconds...

Now are they coming into spawn? The area I was at the water was fairly shallow. Do they feed when they are in this close freaking out?

They were just slapping each other almost... not sure exactly.

There was this one that came right up to shore...like less than a foot from shore. I went over by it, stayed COMPLETELY still until I walked away and it took off like a bat out of hell. Huge swells of water as it took off.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to catch one of these guys... If so.. what bait would I use. Its ALL slop (probably the reason they were surfacing (just hitting seaweed everywhere else).

Here is a video of just one of the MANY swarms I saw :

http://yfrog.us/10dscf0877z (can't do a direct link with .mp4 on this site....)

And here's what the whole area looks like :

dscf0879q.jpg

How would you even being to fish this area? Would it be a waste of time (the skeeters are horrible in this area lol)?

Yeah, seeing that many of them is almost traumatizing! :) Saw the same thing at Rice around the same time last year.

Yeah, seeing that many of them is almost traumatizing! :) Saw the same thing at Rice around the same time last year.

You know there's tons of fish under the water... but when you can literally see 100's of them surfacing its insane!

there biting but there more spooked easily this is the best time freeline for them or float a piece of bread crust on top water they can feel anyweight even the weight of a swivel and hook so small hooks and light bait such as bread is key or if you can find it maggots will work well if you want more help visit my site at www.niagaracarpfishing.freeforums.org