Kicker motor for my new ride....

I'm now looking at the $$$$$$$$ task of rigging the new ride and have come across a deal for a new 2008 Tohatsu 8HP 4-stroke long shaft kicker...half the price of the Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker...

My question is whether the 8HP is big enough to troll my 20' Tracker Tundra on a windy day??

I'm estimating that the total weight of the boat, 150HP Merc, and 40 gallons of gas is ~ 2500lbs...

Thanks,

Steve

Give thought to the prokicker being geared different and having the 4 blade prop Steve.

Don't see an issue with the 8HP pushing you though.. I used one as emergency power on the swim platform of a 26' Fiberform in the early 90's.

The 9.9 kicker on my 22 foot Lund works just fine. Many tried to convince me I needed a 15.. but definitely don't. I can get 5.7 MPH out of the kicker and it takes a FAIR amount of wind to make turning left difficult to the point I need to start the big motor to start the turn. Of course right hand turns are no issue.

Steve; I don't expect that will get you up to some of the speeds for Muskie that you MAY wish. We run a 9.9 Merc. four stroke on an 18' Lund and we get upwards of 5.5 to 6 MPH. and right down to 1 MPH (it is not a bigfoot.) In heavy wind or waves you might be regretting your decision.

I know they are a lot of money upfront, but it would be well spent.

IMO.

I was talking to Charlie Wray at the boat show and he was showing me (and everyone else) his new boat. It was a 22'Crestliner with a 250 Merc and a 9.9 Prokicker.

I couldn't get over how small and kind of underpowered it looked, but because of the gearing and the prop (like Wayne just said) it does a great job.

Jim

9.9 Prokicker has power tilt and 4 blade prop. The bigfoot has manual 5 position tilt and 3 blade prop. Same gear ratios.

There is now a 15 HP prokicker as well as Roy has pointed out.

Mine is remote steer.. ie it's hooked to the big motor with a rod. Electric start (also has pull cord)

Edited by irishfield