Good spin casting rod for the money

largefish

I just wanted to see what spin casting rod is good for under $50. I need to replace my two Mitchell rods. Some of the guides broke, actually the inside linings broke on both of them so now the line does not pass smoothly through them. Also, I got some new braid line and don't want to damage it on the sharp edges of the damaged guides. I don't have a Bass Pro Shop nor Cabela's here in my area. I'm thinking of going to Canadian Tire or Walmart to look for the rod. I'm planning on catching large and smallmouth bass and maybe a pike or two using crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, CT does artificially inflate prices for sales, but if I recall there's a good deal on a Berkley spinning combo this week.... $40 or so...

Sorry, I just checked and it's various pieces at 50%, not a combo...unsure.gif

Edited by The JAY

Well, CT does artificially inflate prices for sales, but if I recall there's a good deal on a Berkley spinning combo this week.... $40 or so...

Sorry, I just checked and it's various pieces at 50%, not a combo...unsure.gif

I already have the reel. I just need the rod. I know that combos are cheaper, but then the quality of the rod/reel is poorer.

If you don't need a reel then any trigger/caster rod should do. Check out the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock at CT for $49. I have one for a spinning reel though and it's good for the $$. Is there a LeBaron's close to you? It's less $ there then CT.

If you don't need a reel then any trigger/caster rod should do. Check out the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock at CT for $49. I have one for a spinning reel though and it's good for the $$. Is there a LeBaron's close to you? It's less $ there then CT.

That seems like a good rod for crankbait and spinnerbait - medium action, 6 ft. I will check how it feels in my hand if it is in stock. No, we don't have LeBaron's here. I live in Windsor, Ontario.

Edited by LargeBass

CTC has a deal on a Fenwick & Abu combo $39.99.

Someone posted in the review section that their cork handle cracked after a short while of using it. I'm concerned about its quality and durability. They now sell it at 50% off - it was $80.

Edited by LargeBass

Cant beat shimano for those prices. shimanos low end rods and reels IMO are better then most in the same price ranges.

isnt the new shimano voltaeus in the 50.00 range? supposed to be like an ugly stick but lighter.

Cant beat shimano for those prices. shimanos low end rods and reels IMO are better then most in the same price ranges.

isnt the new shimano voltaeus in the 50.00 range? supposed to be like an ugly stick but lighter.

I will keep in mind that one as well. It seems it's more expensive at Canadian Tire. They sell it for $60 on their website and Walmart seems to sell it for $50. I will visit Walmart first and check their price and if they have it in stock.

I will keep in mind that one as well. It seems it's more expensive at Canadian Tire. They sell it for $60 on their website and Walmart seems to sell it for $50. I will visit Walmart first and check their price and if they have it in stock.

dont forget to check out mom and pop tackle shops, youd be suprised at some of the deals. and probably a better selection too.

dont forget to check out mom and pop tackle shops, youd be suprised at some of the deals. and probably a better selection too.

Not sure if this is true everywhere, but here, most smaller bait and tackle shops charge more for the same products. Since they sell less products, they raise the prices to make up for the lack of sales volume. They do however have some things that you cannot find at CT or Walmart like a 12 ft. Shakespeare rod. :) Most of them can also place orders for you if you want something more specific.