Detroit River-Lake Erie

Bob Devine

The D-R has been giving up good numbers of walleyes for those looking for an early season bite while the rest of Ont is closed. Jiggers have been doing well on the Ont side as we have not had many days this yr of N or E winds. The usual spots have been producing with chartruese jigs tipped with a plastic minnow or worm has been doing the trick. For those new to the river arm yourself with a dozen 1/2-3/4oz jigs in various colours and some plastic worms or minnows. Look for the boats and the nets going over.

Lake Erie trolling will be heating up shortly with action from Colchester to Leamington. Most anglers will troll crawler harnesses or crankbaits like Reef Runners or Rapalas to cover the large areas to find active fish.

DSCN0609.JPG

I have filmed Detroit Rivers shows with Pete Bowman of Fishn Canada and EATV. Also a Lake Erie walleye trolling with Bob Izumi. There are some new episodes that will be aired in 2011 with a few different fishing shows as well.

Monster walleye!

I was watching a fishing show that used a local guide from Windsor... Any chance you were on WFN recently? lol

Awesome post man!

:thumbsup_anim:

I have filmed Detroit Rivers shows with Pete Bowman of Fishn Canada and EATV. Also a Lake Erie walleye trolling with Bob Izumi. There are some new episodes that will be aired in 2011 with a few different fishing shows as well.

I watched you on the episode of "Fish'n Canada" yesterday on WFN! I don't get this programming at home so I don't know the shows by heart, but when you said that it rung a belL!

You are full of great advice and you got them into some nice fish!

I'm going to have to talk my buddy into splitting a charter with you. He lives in the area!

I watched you on the episode of "Fish'n Canada" yesterday on WFN! I don't get this programming at home so I don't know the shows by heart, but when you said that it rung a belL!

You are full of great advice and you got them into some nice fish!

I'm going to have to talk my buddy into splitting a charter with you. He lives in the area!

We actually shot that show back in 2003.. wow. Funny story about that day was the our cameraman Dave being surrounded by the police when 911 calls said "there is a guy who has a rocket launcher pointed at the GM building in Detroit."

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

We actually shot that show back in 2003.. wow. Funny story about that day was the our cameraman Dave being surrounded by the police when 911 calls said "there is a guy who has a rocket launcher pointed at the GM building in Detroit."

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

hahahaha thats hilarious!! see ya saturday Bob!

Nice one Bob. Fishing has been a lot better on the east side of the river this year. Well worth the extra cost for me. Fighting Island has been great, I've been partial to it since 4/1. The saltmine dock was good but there's a ship there now so I haven't been there lately. I heard Holiday Beach looks different now. Will the wind mills draw in the walleye?

Nice one Bob. Fishing has been a lot better on the east side of the river this year. Well worth the extra cost for me. Fighting Island has been great, I've been partial to it since 4/1. The saltmine dock was good but there's a ship there now so I haven't been there lately. I heard Holiday Beach looks different now. Will the wind mills draw in the walleye?

I have been fishing from Peche to Fighting Is with good success in all the regular spots. Don't let those freighters docked worry you about catching fish. Salt and grain dropping from those conveyors just mean more baitfish and that spells more walleyes.

The east side has been good due to the water clarity. We have had very few days this yr of N or E winds and hopefully this will result in another excellent spawn like the one from 2003. Strong winds stir up the eggs making it tough on the spawn process.

I have not seen the wind mills and not sure if they are on land or in the water. If in the water it will make for some bass habitat but I am not sure I want to be that close with the blades moving..lol

That is a nice eye for sure.

Good to hear they are on. Made a trip with Barry weeks ago (Sat of FLW), and it was a tough fish from FI and up river. Had a couple of bite-offs and a small musky. Almost everyone we talked to had a tough day for eyes but got a musky. Is the river is infested with muskies? Mostly small? Are the muskies there come opening?

Good fishing!

Aaron

Aaron, during the early spring walleye run there are a number of muskies caught both small and large. In 2006 when the VHS virus hit we lost a LOT of muskies, fortunately the ones that survived were able to have successful spawns. As many know there were a number of 40# muskies caught last yr. Prior to 2009 I have not heard of a reliable 40# muskie being caught and that goes for yrs of records from the Mich Ont Musky Club. We fished the Mich Walleye tournament on that Sat with good results and finished 8th with just shy of 52# for our 10 walleyes. Between Sat and Sun we boated about 30 walleyes, Sat was better for us 18 walleyes.

The musky fishing during the opener can be good. Water temperature will determine where they are. Casting, jigging and trolling for muskies can all be productive in the river.

Let me know if you need more info.

Good to hear they are on. Made a trip with Barry weeks ago (Sat of FLW), and it was a tough fish from FI and up river. Had a couple of bite-offs and a small musky. Almost everyone we talked to had a tough day for eyes but got a musky. Is the river is infested with muskies? Mostly small? Are the muskies there come opening?

Good fishing!

Aaron

Good fishing!

Aaron

Aaron here is a decent musky caught while jigging this yr. Jigging has become a regular way to catch muskies on the D-R and other locations because we have caught a number this way and learned that just use bigger baits to jig. Professional bass angler Jon Bondy made his own musky jigging bait(Bobdy Bait) and I was using a 1.5oz salt water jig and a 6" sassy shad to attrac fish. Jigging usually happens in the early season and in the fall. Almost like getting snagged and then the musky takes off..wow.

salt musky.jpg

26.jpg