Heading to Timmins same week as walleye opener

NAW

So, I’ve never caught a walleye before. None of the lakes I’ve fished have ever held them.

This summer, my only fishing related goal is to catch a Walleye. Shouldn’t be that hard right?

I’m heading up to Timmins for work, and it just happens that it’s the same weekend as the Walleye opener (3rd Saturday in May.)

I’ve never been to Timmins before, and really don’t know what to expect as far as shore fishing opportunities.

Does anyone know of some lakes or rivers in the Timmins area, or on the drive back down (to Barrie), that I could wet a line, and maybe catch an eye or two from shore?

I was really hopping to get some good OFC support on this one. I tried a few times last year to get into the eyes, and had zero luck. I hit G-bay, the French, and a few rivers and lakes in the Muskoka / Severn falls area. I must have been doing something wrong.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

from shore maybe a little tough, any river on the way down may give a decent shot, the mattag. right in timmins could be a good shot, i've caught many near the boat launch just before season closed in the spring, maybe the tatachikapika river also, (they all may very well be sanctuaries though, you'll have to check) i know the one that crosses the highway near gogama (makami river) is a sanctuary,

that time of year find some current and throw some jigs in there, if there's pickeral in the system, you'll catch them

Mattagami River is right on the money.... just go where all the other people are. :whistling:

The river will have a TON of people on it mostly targeting Walleye.

stick with the simple stuff... Jig & Minnow combo... Chartreuse/Orange 3/8 jig and a 2"-2.5" red/yellow Dace minnow... can't go wrong.

Good Luck!(not that you're gonna need it)

:canadian:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mattagami River flows besically right though Timmins correct?

yes.

from shore, walleye fishing is tough. There are a few spots that i know of but the only way you can get anything of size is from a boat, nighthawk lake, grassy point good to me consistently producing 5-6 pound fish.

For shore fishing, you can stop on the way in at the frederick house bridge. Check out barber's bay, anywhere along the road there, you'll probably see people fishing. And there's a drive-on dock in connaught just before that (or on the way out depending on which way you're going). I've seen a lot of fish caught off that dock. If you want some cool backroad fishing (old logging road), find your way to Springs road and drive around looking for streams. most hold small brookies.

Hi there: I was born and raised in timmins and they are kinda right about mattag. It Runs through the uptown portion of timmins on highway 101. You can fish there but i have never seen people catch alot of walleye there. If you want a good shore spot, fish anywhere you can find land on porcupine lake in porcupine (burb of timmins). Tons of big hungry walleye in there, but there is a slot. Night fishing is good as well as morning.

good luck

Hi there: I was born and raised in timmins and they are kinda right about mattag. It Runs through the uptown portion of timmins on highway 101. You can fish there but i have never seen people catch alot of walleye there. If you want a good shore spot, fish anywhere you can find land on porcupine lake in porcupine (burb of timmins). Tons of big hungry walleye in there, but there is a slot. Night fishing is good as well as morning.

good luck

I may have to give that a try. I appreciate the info.

I'm thinkin about brining my canoe up, with the electric troller. I only have sat evening, and sunday morning to fish, so I want to spend it wisely.

Is there a few spots to launch a canoe on porcupine lake?

Guest nuker

I live and fish in Timmins.

Pack some pickeral rigs and 1/2 oz bell sinkers. You'll need minnows.

You have 2 options for fishing the Fredrick House and Nighthawk Lake area.

Option 1:

As you head to timmins on hwy 101 coming in from the east (ie. via North Bay), park on the north east side of the Frederick House River Bridge (ie. turn right before crossing it). You'll see the signs before the bridge for a picnic area. Park.

Grab your pail, net, rod and pickeral rigs, minnow pail and walk towards the underside of the bridge. You'll see the path.

Walk under the bridge so you are facing south (towards night hawk lake).

At this location you are on the River. As you walk down towards the water, look down at the rocks and look for a dried pile of rough concrete. This is a good place to put your stuff. Now, look south and you will see islands down the lake. Locate the the last dock on the other side of the river, towards the lake (south). Cast in that direction. Far is good but not necessary.

Let the rig sink, and wait for the line to settle and slacken. Find a nice spot to support your rod with the tip up and take in the slack. This is the river so depending on the current, you may have to change your sinker appropriately.

Sit on our pail, or rocks. It wont' be long until you get a hit. Walleye, sauger, perch, pike, mooneye are the catches here. Walleyes here are very yellow, as the water here is that color.

Do not cast along side the bridge, you are guaranteed to lose your rig.

Option 2:

Coming down the same highway, this time look for the left turn just before the bridge. It's actually right across from the above location.

Drive down this gravel road for a couple kms. big trucks use this road so be cautious. Look on the left side of the road as you drive. You will see a wide open clearing where u can see the lake. Stop and park here. Walk down the slope, setup and cast straight out with your pickeral rig. Wait, and they will come.

Walleyes here bite pretty much all day. It's odd. They do not fit the textbook patterns of walleye behaviour!

Your time of arrival is probably really good timing for Option 2. Alot of the larger walleyes here move in after the spawn. But, given the early spring conditions and ridiculously low water levels this year, I'm not so sure.

However, Option 1 is basically guaranteed action.

I will be there that weekend. Probably on the Sunday, as I'll be hitting up another location on saturday.

Edited by nuker

I live and fish in Timmins.

Pack some pickeral rigs and 1/2 oz bell sinkers. You'll need minnows.

You have 2 options for fishing the Fredrick House and Nighthawk Lake area.

Option 1:

However, Option 1 is basically guaranteed action.

I will be there that weekend. Probably on the Sunday, as I'll be hitting up another location on saturday.

Holy cow man. Thanks for all the detailed info.

You may want to save all the specific details for a PM though. If I where you, I'd edit that post, and remove all that lovly info about your honey hole. I have already printed this, so don't worry about me! Most guys don't post their exact honey whole locations like this for fear that they will get over run with lurkers. Maybe things are different in Timmins?

Thanks again eh!

Edited by F-is-H

Guest nuker

hhaha those spots are hardly a secret! in fact if you show up you may struggle to find a spot, unless you go EARLY!

if you bring the canoe anchor, about 30 to 40 feet from shore at option 1. you will look for about 10 to 15 feet of water. drop straight down pickerel rig and still fish. you may piss me off if i'm on shore... lol

you can head south and fish the weed edges on the east side, past the last "marina"

dont venture into the lake. very shallow and doesnt take much wind to rough up the waters.

now, somebody tell me some good walleye spots around cosy cove cottages on nipissing! heading there may run.

I may have to give that a try. I appreciate the info.

I'm thinkin about brining my canoe up, with the electric troller. I only have sat evening, and sunday morning to fish, so I want to spend it wisely.

Is there a few spots to launch a canoe on porcupine lake?

yes there are. One in Porcupine on martin street and one in south porcupine right by the airport hotel and bar, bruce street if i remember. Nighthawk is a good bet, but it is a big shallow system so if there is bad weather and your in a canoe, your in trouble. Google those streets and you'll find launches at the end of them.