Question on Inflatable PFD

Rich Clemens

I've been looking to get away from the bulky PFD and go with the inflatable vest this year. Searched the forum and saw the BPS XPS Deluxe Auto Inflate model mentioned and is listing as $149 USD from BPS. As I was looking over the various types, I wasn't sure what some of the terminology means ... so I knew just where to turn for the answers.

First: What is the difference between a Type II and a Type V device ?

Second: What does 1F, 3F, and 6F inflation mean ?

Third: Do these units come with some kind of indicator as to when they need re-armed, I see BPS is selling re-arming kits. Are the difficult to re-arm ?

Just received my Northern Angler BPS catalog today. I'll have to check out the musky baits .... sweet.

Thanks in advance folks.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Rich, I have the BassPro XPS and can help you with part of your inquiry.

The type PFD is as follows:

Type 1 is offshore rated rather bulky and designed for long exposure time and to keep the victims face out of the water should they become unconsious. It is the best!

Type 11 is for closer to land and will keep the victims face out of the water should they become unconsious. It is the second best and is what the XPS is rated.

Type 111 is your normal fishing/boating type PFD vest and is not designed to keep the victims face out of the water.

IV and V aren't as good as 111.

I'm unsure about the inflation rates, and these PFDs should only have to be re-armed after they have been inflated as they work off of a CO2 cartridge that shouldn't go bad. I haven't discharged or re-armed mine so I don't know how difficult that is.

The lower the number on the type usually means better floatation....Type 2 is a near shore system whereas a type 5 is a special service system

The 'F' designations are simply the type of inflation device used.

Re-arming kits are normally just the cylinder that needs replacing...... when they show green, you're good to go but when the indicator is red, it must be replaced.

Here's a link to some info:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/symp_pfd/presen...Ardle_PFDMA.pdf