I Need help

canuckjack

I'm hoping someone can offer a bit of advice.

My replacement propeller seals came in and now I'm trying to remove the old ones and I cannot figure these things out.

What can I do to remove these seals, bearing in mind I haven't dropped the lower unit, and I'd really rather not if it can be avoided.

Does the bearing housing need to be pulled to do this? Or do I just need to get more creative with tearing these things out. So far I've been very conservative just trying to pry the top one out but all I've managed to do is pull the spring and inner ring out...the outside ring won't budge.

I've seen posts online about drilling holes and using screws but that seems like a last resort to me...

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add it's a 1989 Johnson 30HP 2 stroke J30RCED

Anyway, any advice that you guys can offer this morning would be appreciated

Edited by canuckjack

I'll answer my own question

The easiest way is to drop the LU, pull the bearing housing. Decide that the bearings need replacing, order those and a new O-ring for the housing. Replace the impeller, housing, gaskets, etc...

No sense going half- :asshat:

Bearings come in tomorrow, should be able to take'r for a test run tomorrow night.

Thank God my father-in law is mechanically inclined, he runs a car restoration shop, cause I was in way over my head on this one.