Summer Fishing Trip

huntervasili

Alright well I figure I might as well post this question here for you all... I think I may have a free week at the end of August and I would like to use my time fishing of course. So my question to you is if you had 7 days to fish and wanted to use a canoe as your transportation where would you go. any species of fish but any place where trout (brook, rainbows) are in rivers is the best for me... I realize they can be tough in the summer but it is the opportunity I have. I am looking for some sort of chain of lakes (portages add to the fun) in which you all have had some luck. It would be a bonus if there were some rivers too in which I could do some flyfishing too... I have a few places in mind but want to throw out the question and see where you would go if you were in my spot.

Thanks,

Bill

LOL! :D

You're putting me on the spot here! (I'm not normally in the habit of giving up my brook trout spots B) )

Bill, I've got a couple of trips that might interest you depending on your skill level.

First, the Wakwayokastik River N/E of Cochrane. Logistics are easy as you can pay an outfitter in Cochrane to shuttle you to the drop off point. Paddling the river takes roughly a week and at the end you make your way to Moosonee where you take the train back to Cochrane. Excellent brook trout in the upper 2/3 of the river (some pretty big).

Second, on the north shore of Superior the Bremner River is a fabulous trip. You have to charter a float plane with White River Air to fly you into the headwaters at Pinei lake. Don't be scared off by this though, as you're only paying for basic air charter one way on the way in. At the end of the trip you take out at a bridge near White River where your car will be parked. Straight paddle, this trip takes 3 days, but if you're fishing and exploring a lot your time frame is perfect. There's excellent brook trout in the entire river from top to bottom. Also, there's a bunch of small lakes adjacent to the river that are very good for brook trout. Foster Lake in particular is good, plus there's a wide, smooth portage trail leading into it from the river.

Neither of these trips are a loop....that's a tough one (at least when you're talking trout fishing..)

To be honest, besides the two river trips I outlined, Algonquin Park immediately sprang to mind. There's a whole bunch of decent loop trips you could do there....Yes, it's not "prime" time for Algonquin, but if you're willing to adapt your tactics to the time of year, fishing can be great! That time of year you're forced to fish deep, and that means trolling with either steel line, or braid with a 3-way rig.

If you want any info on A.P. routes and more detail on how to catch the fish shoot me a pm. For that matter, if you want any detailed info on the first 2 river trips I outlined, get a hold of me!

cheers, Mike

Bill you are quite the outdoorsman and I know that you will enjoy a portage trip. There are some lakes just north of Napanee and Kingston that would take your breathe away with rivers etc. to enjoy. Some of the area that I am referring to is Grindstone Lake, and for some awesome speckle trout fishing there is the Quinn Lakes, Mosque lake and the list goes on and on.

Just check into this are and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best regards,

Sam