Lowrance HDS-7 units

Stoty

I currently have an HDS-7 in my console and am getting my new HDS-7 unit in the next couple weeks.

I have (tried) doing some research into networking them together, but can't seem to find much info on it.

What do I need to network them together?

Just one Ethernet cable between the two?

Or do I need the LSS unit?

Will they both read off 1 Navionics chip, or do I need two chips?

Will they share waypoints and automatically update each other with new waypoints?

Any help is much appreciated!

You will need the networking cable. I'm not sure about the waypoints sharing. I have not got that far just yet. I have 2 HDS 10" units networked this season and I have the cards for both. I will be setting up the Lss module for the front and back. I will have the structure scan even on the Trolling motor. However I would be stearing away from the HDS 7" units. Nothing but problems right now with them. Just research it and you will see. The networking cable is around $50 Can right now.

You will need two map cards if you want the EXACT mapping on both but not really necessary.

A Ethernet cable between the two units will give you the choice of sharing two transducers for both units.

A network cable between the two units will give you ability of entering a waypoint on one unit and it will automatically be entered on the other unit as long as both units are on.

Here's a forum site that has a LOT more info and has a thread pinned for networking.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=13

As far as i kno if you get the LMMS unit u can network and share info from one to the other! Waiting for my new boat to arive and i have a hds 5 and an 8 plus LMMwaiting to get hooked up and I was told I would need only one card for both.

I have the HDS-5 on the consul of my 17' Starcraft. Can I hook up an older Lowrance X-55 to it? The X-55 doesn't accept eithernet cable? I was under the impression that the power cable would attach to my HDS-5 and share the same transducer???? I can't afford 2 HDS units.

I only want the X-55 in my bow for depth / structure.

I have the HDS-5 on the consul of my 17' Starcraft. Can I hook up an older Lowrance X-55 to it? The X-55 doesn't accept eithernet cable? I was under the impression that the power cable would attach to my HDS-5 and share the same transducer???? I can't afford 2 HDS units.

I only want the X-55 in my bow for depth / structure.

SORRY but NO.....the X-55 unit doesn't have any capacities to be either networked together or Ethernet to another unit.

As far as i kno if you get the LMMS unit u can network and share info from one to the other! Waiting for my new boat to arive and i have a hds 5 and an 8 plus LMMwaiting to get hooked up and I was told I would need only one card for both.

Also SORRY but one card is only good for ONE UNIT...HOWEVER, you can use the card on the console unit and just use whatever internal mapping that came with the bow unit and you'll be fine...the console card mapping will get you where you want to be and then the bow unit will keep you in the general area while fishing..If you get the "INSIGHT" mapping on both units you might not even need a card but of course that depends on what lakes you will be fishing....IT IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE EXTRA $50 for the INSIGHT MAPPING over the base mapping when you first purchase the units...you can get the units either way.

Bob

SORRY but NO.....the X-55 unit doesn't have any capacities to be either networked together or Ethernet to another unit.

Billy Bob,

If I run them separate on 2 transducers will there be interference?

What model was the 1st in the X series to be compatable? Maybe I'll look for one used and pick it up for the bow?

Billy Bob,

If I run them separate on 2 transducers will there be interference?

What model was the 1st in the X series to be compatable? Maybe I'll look for one used and pick it up for the bow?

I am not sure of all that have the capacities of being networked but many of the X series and all of the LMS series can be networked together......now networking them together and Ethernet together is two different things...networking gets you to share waypoints but Ethernet together gets you to share transducers.

If you have two separate units with separate transducers at the same time they will interfere with each other unless you are in shallow water where the two cones cannot reach each other...that is why Ethernet them together was important.

For more info surf this forum...

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=13

Edited to add:

Here's a section from the forum I posted that has a classified area for used electronics.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=70

Edited by Billy Bob