Great white north? Boats in April? I'll take it!

limeyangler

Hi all,

the ice has been on the retreat here since the beginning of March. Went out last Tuesday in front of the lake and to my wife's releif i said that was the last time i was venturing out this year. Normally at this time of year i'm still heading out on the snowmachine to my favourite icefishing spots with at least 3 or 4 weeks of ice fishing to look forward to, but the snowmachine has not seen any action since Feb 28th.....and i put it away 3 weeks ago.

Realising it was gonna probably be a case of finding a few open water sections big enough to cast into i went searching the obvious places to see how ice out was progressing....got to Bear Narrows on Eagle lake last Friday expecting a bit of open water around the bridge and a few shore spots where the rocks warm up.....I WAS NOT EXPECTING TO SEE 2 BOATS FISHING! AWESOME!

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

With my boat still under a tarp with our car and truck's summer tires stored in it it was gonna have to be a shore fishing trip on Sunday. Al, Carmon and myself headed out at 3pm. Al and myself had decided to use floating jigs the day before and that was the ticket, slow retrieve and WHAM! We got our limit with a few nice fish thrown in, the 18-23" slot size on Eagle Lake did not hinder a really good harvest of eating size walleye....and we got a few 22" and the best 23" snatched onto my line and fought like a PIKE!

IMG_0555.jpg

Gonna try heading out in the boat later on this afternoon....will do a report if i get out.

I just spent the morning cleaning out the winter crud from my 16' Lund and washing it out. Tomorrow, prep the engine and run it up. who knows maybe by the weekend I'll lauch it in the river. What a great way to spend the morning!!!!

Last year I got it ready to go and we got 10 inches of snow, hope we avoid that this year.