Quick question about river fishing

Mykester

I'm hitting a trib tomorrow (don't worry I know the regulations, this one's open) but I've never fished too much in fast flowing water. If you float fish, is it a cast and retrieve every 10 seconds? Or do the weights keep the float in place?

I'm hitting a trib tomorrow (don't worry I know the regulations, this one's open) but I've never fished too much in fast flowing water. If you float fish, is it a cast and retrieve every 10 seconds? Or do the weights keep the float in place?

Your weights are not meant to anchor your float in place when float fishing. You need to try to drift your float through the whole length of the pool or run before you reel it in. It's also important to have your weights set properly, your float set at the right depth and your flourocarbon leader the right length so your float and your bait run effectively through the pool. If you really want to catch fish there's a lot more to it then just throwing in a float , weights and a roe bag and watching it float down stream. If I were you I would watch the other guys fishing first just to get a better understanding or find someone to teach you how to do it effectively.

Good Luck.