prop

archer379

i was given a prop today and was told it would work but the numbers don't match. i have a 99 Johnson 70 horse the prop i have on the boat is stamped 13x19. the one i got today is 13.5 x17. What are the difference between the 2 and will it work

thanks

The one you got today is 13.5 inch pitch (theoretically how far forward it would go if you turned it one revolution in a hunk of butter) x 17" diameter.. the one you have is 13 pitch x 19 inch diameter. Put it on and see how it works. I was surprised this summer when Leah smacked a prop.. that a different pitch/diameter combo runs much better on the steel boat than what we had. The marina had two in stock to try.. and the odd ball worked better.

The one you got today is 13.5 inch pitch (theoretically how far forward it would go if you turned it one revolution in a hunk of butter) x 17" diameter.. the one you have is 13 pitch x 19 inch diameter. Put it on and see how it works. I was surprised this summer when Leah smacked a prop.. that a different pitch/diameter combo runs much better on the steel boat than what we had. The marina had two in stock to try.. and the odd ball worked better.

And here I always thought the first number was the diameter or...

IRISHFIELD IS WRONG??????????????

Whats up wit dat??? lol

im marking this one on the calender :whistling:

actually i had the deer in the headlight look when i read that to.

i am in belief that the last number is the inches it should move the boat.

make sure you check the clearance of the new prop when you put it on .

i was given a prop today and was told it would work but the numbers don't match. i have a 99 Johnson 70 horse the prop i have on the boat is stamped 13x19. the one i got today is 13.5 x17. What are the difference between the 2 and will it work

thanks

Your old prop was 13" dia x 19 degree pitch, the new prop is 13.5" dia x 17 degree pitch,

as a rule of thumb, for every one degree of less pich you will gain approx 200 RPM, with the new set up you'll probably gain 200/300 RPM (because the new prop has 1/2" larger diameter).

important thing to remember is NOT to acceed recommened engine RPM at WOT,

Your old prop was 13" dia x 19 degree pitch, the new prop is 13.5" dia x 17 degree pitch,

as a rule of thumb, for every one degree of less pich you will gain approx 200 RPM, with the new set up you'll probably gain 200/300 RPM (because the new prop has 1/2" larger diameter).

important thing to remember is NOT to acceed recommened engine RPM at WOT,

thanks everyone for there answers. I will try it on the boat in morning then will have to wait a few more weeks until i can get into the water. | guess i better try and fix the tach in the boat lol. I did a quick search last night on the web and was surprized how little info there seemed to be on the subjuct of which prop would work best.